Annual international students have arrived

Lugo student, Aryana Nunez,and foreign exchange student, Jasmine, stop to pose for the camera. Jasmine shadows Aryana throughout the day from beginning to the end. Aryana states, “I feel like it is a good experience for the both of us, we get to learn their culture and we get to show them our culture.”

Tatiana Arenas and Mason Lopez

Each school year, Don Lugo invites international exchange students to experience American culture, society, and education.  The new students arrived to Lugo on Monday from Taiwan and China to experience the education that Lugo serves. The first group of foreign exchange students start this week and will increase throughout the next few weeks.

Lugo students are given an opportunity to sign up for an international student and allow them to be shadowed through out their whole week at Lugo. Foreign exchange student, Jasmine, explains, “This school is very different than China.” Jasmine also shared that in China, the students stay in one class the entire day and have different teachers switch in and out as opposed to Lugo, students move to each period every hour.

In China, the student’s futures are determined by a test. In the United States, most citizens have a variety of options they can choose from while some countries are very limited. As for the foreign exchange student program, Dr.Cabrera shares, “Parents send kids here to benefit a better education system.”