Seniors, it’s time to fill out the FAFSA application

Senior+prepares+to+apply+for+the+FAFSA.+I+would+recommend+going+to+a+workshop+or+asking+counselors+for+help+if+you+can.%2C+says+Coyne+Altamirano.+

Erika Hernandez

Senior prepares to apply for the FAFSA. “I would recommend going to a workshop or asking counselors for help if you can.”, says Coyne Altamirano.

Erika Hernandez, Managing Editor

Multiple questions have been arising as the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Students Aid) applications have opened. Many seniors may ask themselves why the FAFSA is important or if it’s even worth applying for. Seniors may also feel uneasy asking their counselors for help applying or where they even start. However, It’s critical to understand that filling out your FAFSA application as soon as possible is very beneficial for all graduating seniors. Almost all seniors that apply for the FAFSA qualify for some form of financial aid. There are multiple grants, like the Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, and TEACH Grants, that are available for students interested in attending four-year colleges, community colleges, and career schools. 

Seniors may apply for aid if they don’t have the sufficient funds to afford college. “I think that FAFSA will help a lot with the cost… I don’t have a job yet so I need the money to not suffer through debt.”, says Coyne Altamirano, a senior at Don Lugo.

Don Lugo held a FAFSA workshop on Wednesday, November 9th from 5:30 to 7:30 where Cal Poly Pomona admin helped students and parents fill out their FAFSA and college applications. “It is very beneficial for students to apply to FAFSA because that way their education can either be free or reduced.”, says Angela Chavez, a worker at CPP ETS (pre-college program). 

Students can fill out the FAFSA online on the FAFSA website using a computer or a mobile device. Gather the necessary documents needed to complete the application: social security numbers of family members, tax information, bank statements, and a list of schools students are interested in attending. Students will also need to create a FSA ID that is required to sign in. Afterwards. Students must input their own information as well as their family’s information about their citizenship, marital status, legal residence, household members, etc, and students must also fill in financial information like income and tax returns. 

Applying for financial aid will give students a way to apply for federal grants, work-study, and loans to help suffice their fund they need in order to attend the college of their choice. Cal Poly Pomona workers are available for application help at Don Lugo in Room 49 if students have any questions about FAFSA and the application process.