Future is bright for Decathlon team

The picture above was taken at the award ceremony directly after the competition. “I feel that we are all proud of what we have accomplished and look forward to next season,” expressed Rigo Rosales. Photo courtesy of: Alexia Olivas.

Luis Lopez, News Reporter

Don Lugo’s decathlon team placed and won 7th place at the Decathlon competition at Redlands East Valley High School. Lugo placed the top 10 out of 30 schools. The group of students on the team have been united since February 2015 and hope to continue onto the next season.

The team trains hard all year long for this particular competition. Decathlon leader, Mr. Grebel explains, “It’s not a competition that rewards natural intelligence, it rewards the hard work.” The hard work put in by the students shows through their performance in the yearly competition.

The team has accomplished their goals by placing higher than Chino Hills, 3rd in the “interview” part of the tournament, and took home a trophy. “The future looks bright,” declares Grebel, “because the team is open to all grades, but mainly consists of sophomores who look forward to advancing their academics. Apart of all the hard work, this program is more than just the curriculum, it’s getting to learn more about yourself and realizing your capabilities.”