Quest aims for the best

Excited and honored, the students pose after winning and being recognized. “This makes me so excited for Seattle,” Hailey Scott states. Quest News will be taking a trip to Seattle for Nationals next year.

Natalie West, News Editor

Two of Quest News’ staff members won an award and received recognition during “J-day convention” at North ridge University. Kyle Finck from the LA Times Insider hosted the convention. The day consisted of students attending workshops and competing in writing contests.

Hailey Scott, a Feature reporter won First place for the “Message to Our Future President”Opinion piece. When congratulated, she was called to the front to receive a Certificate and an LA times insider shirt personally from Mr. Finck. Ms. Scott expressed how she felt upon receiving her award,”I was ecstatic just walking in, I’ve been looking forward to this day for so long and when they called my name I started crying, I felt so honored.”

Not expecting any recognition Johnny Palavecino, Quest News Photographer and Sports reporter submitted a photo for Photography. Although Johnny didn’t place, he was able to go up to the front and have an honorable recognition for his photo. Being one of the first competitions the staff of 2016-17 has participated in, it turned out to be a successful and memorable event.