Homecoming 2021 is going to be a night to remember!

Tricia Hernandez

At the last homecoming dance before Covid-19 hit a group of sophomores take pictures at a park. Arianna Hernandez says, “I’m most excited about getting to hang out with my friends all night and getting to take pictures with them, and finally be able to go to the dance again!”

Cheyanne Jauregui, Editor in Chief

Homecoming 2021 has officially been confirmed to take place at Don Antonio Lugo High School on October 16 since the school shut down during the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. Homecoming is going to be a night to remember so buckle up and get ready for the ride!

For a lot of students, high school is much more than good grades, taking AP courses, and doing homework for hours on end. Growing up students look forward to high school due to what they see on television or hear from alumni. The school dances that create the phenomenal’ high school experience are what alumni go on to talk about for years to come, this excites incoming students. The full high school experience was taken away from students all over the country and Don Lugo High School is no exception.

Every year, a group of students entering high school choose not to go to any of the school dances until their upperclassmen years because of their financial or social situation. The Covid-19 pandemic that swept across the world caused this plan to backfire for a lot of students especially those choosing to wait for their upperclassmen year to go to homecoming. Last year was going to be the first year a lot of students were attending homecoming but the shutdowns, social distancing, and virtual school made this impossible. The disappointment in students was evident, “I was actually looking forward to it” said senior Johanna Barrios.

Barrios did not attend homecoming her freshman or sophomore year with the hope that she could go her junior and senior years which made the news even more discouraging for her. Nobody knew how long the pandemic would last and how long public schools would have to remain socially distant. The pandemic left students like Barrios wondering if she would even get a senior year that was not limited to a screen. Fortunately, unlike past classes, the class of 2022 was able to come back to school and is getting their dances and senior activities. Now that homecoming has been announced to happen Barrios and a majority of other students have expressed their thrill to finally get to experience homecoming. “I am most excited about dressing up, taking pictures, and spending it with my friends,” Johanna Barrios said.

Arianna Hernandez and Isabella Angon get dressed up and take pictures before the dance. (Photo Courtesy: Tricia Hernandez)

ASB is motivated to give all of Don Lugo’s students a remarkable night! Although, a good turnout is expected there are still students that are not planning to attend, “make the most out of your four years of high school because at the end of the day you are learning new things, making new memories, and enjoying yourself” said Heidi Cortes, ASB member.

Cortes understands that the Chino community along with surrounding schools may have a misconstrued idea of what Don Lugo stands for. Despite these misconceptions of who Don Lugo is, she fully believes that this homecoming will bring the student body together giving them a chance to represent, “One school and one family.”

Don Lugo High School is ready to throw an amazing homecoming in celebration of the past year that everybody has overcome. So buy your tickets, pull out your dress clothes from your closet, and get excited, “I think this homecoming dance can show that we’re all connected and that we can overcome” Heidi Cortes said.