Opinion: COVID-19 vaccinations should be mandatory for all students

Photo Courtesy: New york times

COVID-19 cases in California are up to 4.78 million and the deaths are about 69,955. Governor Newsom says, “We need to do more, we need to do better to reach out and make available more opportunities for people to get vaccinated and encourage them along the way.”

Cheyanne Jauregui, Features Editor

On October 1, Governor Gavin Newsom announced that students will be required to get the Covid-19 vaccination in attempt to stop the rising death poll. This sparked outrage from those opposed to getting the vaccine which led to the spread of misinformation once again. Whether people disagree or not you cannot reject the undeniable fact that the vaccine is supported by science and is proven to be effective which is why the Covid-19 vaccine should be required for all students in school.

A common concern among those opposed to the vaccine is that it was made too fast making it unsafe to get which is untrue. The CDC (Centers for Disease and Control Prevention) recommends you get the Covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible because “it is safe and effective.” 396 million of Covid-19 vaccines have been given in the United States from December 14, 2020 to October 4, 2021. The vaccines despite being the fastest produced vaccine in history has undergone “the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S history.”

Adverse effects from the vaccine are actually extremely rare and the only potential reactions would be anaphylaxis and TTS (Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome). Anaphylaxis is a potential risk with all vaccines so that should not be an excuse. TTS has only been detected in the J&J/ Jansen vaccine but is too very rare and you also have the choice of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

All vaccines, medical procedures, and medicine (even ibuprofen) have potential risks. Ibuprofen also has a severe allergy warning that can lead to shock, skin reddening, rash, and blisters. It also gives a stomach bleeding warning and a heart attack and stroke warning but you do not see people going into hysteria over ibuprofen which just shows how politicized Covid-19 has been and the effect it has caused on peoples’ perception of the vaccine.

Another huge worry is the long-term side effects but this has also been declared by the CDC to be extremely unlikely. Side effects happen in the next six weeks of getting the vaccine but our medical professionals knew this and the FDA itself made it mandatory for each vaccine from all brands to have their vaccine studied for two months after getting the second dose. The CDC, FDA, and countless medical professionals with degrees in medicine have approved this vaccine so a “hunch” from someone without a degree in medicine is not good enough reason to spread misinformation and say the vaccine is “unsafe.”

These vaccines save countless lives and stop the death poll from rising even more than it already has. It is not the time to be selfish it is the time to be selfless. When you are watching someone that you love, someone you can not live without, not being able to breathe while they suffocate, maybe then people would decide to make the right choice to get the vaccine. To save someone you love from a painful and cruel death or to save another person from experiencing that type of loss.

People are losing their grandparents, parents, and children to this virus. So if there is a way we can end this pandemic once and for all that is what our goal should be. Only when we have made all the possible steps to end this pandemic is when we can go back to normal. Normalcy is not possible without effort from everybody.

Fortunately, California has a governor that has the intentions of minimizing the number of cases rising. California has been the first in the United States to require masks, to require that all their staff be vaccinated and/or weekly tested, and now they are striving to be the first to require students to be vaccinated. “Once the FDA approves the vaccination in different cohorts, starting with 12 and above, grade 7 to 12, we will begin to apply that requirement in the next term, either January 1st or July 1st, whichever comes sooner.” Governor Newsom said.