Lugo v. Lugo: a hilarious showdown

The first Comedy Sportz game of this season took place in Don Lugo’s MPR on Friday night, between this years team and last years Alumni team; with the rush of excitement due to the heavy-weighted competition, the game turned out to be very entertaining.

Comedy Sportz is an improv-based competiton between two teams that compete in a number of different game categories. The audience participates and shouts answers, in turn helping to change scenes in the game. The audience was extremely involved in this first game, the room was instantlly filled with laughter as soon as the game began.

To kick it off the teams began with a game they call  “Speed Dating,” in which a player is sent out while the rest of the team pick a famous icon to imitate; the player is sent back in to ask questions such as: “Where would we go on our first date?” Or “What would you say if I introduced you to my mother?” The rest of the players then answer using witty remarks as well as act as the characters they’re trying to portray. This was played by the Student team, and was followed by the Alumni’s “Slideshow” game where two players narrate the other two player’s actions as if they were in a stop-motion picture.

The games continued with the student team playing another game called “5-4-3-2-1 Countdown” and the Alumni team with the game “Replay at Bernie’s.” The final score was Students: 51 and Alumni: 49. It was a close game, and almost equally as hilarious; both the Student and Alumni teams were close with each other personally, and they both shared a unique type of chemistry that was obvious to the audience.

The Alumni students also showed how Comedy Sportz was applicable and even beneficial to their life after high school. Alumni Member Jenna Highstreet shares, “When you’re on stage you always have to take on the role of a character- and I just started a referee job, so I would say that I’m kind of a more shy person who doesn’t really like to yell at people, but then I take on the role of a really authoritative figure. Comedy Sportz really helped me, and I thought it was funny because I used to referee the game just like that.” Overall the first game of the Comedy Sportz season was a success and the student team cant wait to take on their next competition.