Ruiz Defeats Nunez

The Presidential Race is Over

Guest to the Quest, Writer

On Friday, March 11, after a vigorous race with head cheerleader and former Class of 2017 President Aryana Nunez, Isaiah Ruiz was announced the 2016-2017 ASB President.

Emotions ran high all week as both candidates, and very close friends, battled it out for the presidency. Having known each other since 7th grade, they welcomed the challenge that comes with running against a close friend. “I thought about the challenge that I was going to have during campaign week,” explained Nunez. “We each have contributed to the community one way or another, so no matter what the votes are, we have already made our mark on Don Lugo.”

Both Nunez and Ruiz created massive posters, with catchy slogans, but “Crazy Isaiah” as some call him, took his campaigning efforts to several students Instagram and Twitter pages. “Social media helped me a lot with my campaign” says Ruiz, “My strategy was to use students on campus who are active on many social groups and get them to post the videos and images I created so my campaign would have a wider impact.”

Both candidates have been highly involved with Don Lugo activities since their freshman year, and both have big ideas for how they want to improve Don Lugo. However, with the presidency now won, Ruiz gets to focus on implementing his plan and what he calls the 4 A’s (Academics, Athletics, Arts, and Activities). Nunez will now look for a commissioner position with ASB.

Activities Director, Farrah Rigo-Witt was excited for the two candidates to run, “Aryana and Isaiah are both involved and have passion for our school, but I’m thrilled to see Isaiah get more students involved with his energy.”