"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

Don Lugos Girls Flag Football Team during a scrimmage game against Chino High School.
Don Lugo's Girls Flag Football
Dyllan Cruz, Features Writer • April 24, 2024

For the first time in Don Lugo’s history, there is a Girl’s Flag Football team! The team officially kicked off in early April with their...

A picture of Sydney Sweeneys character Cecilia dressed as the Virgin Mary.
Review: Immaculate (2024)
Sage Mejia, Review Writer • April 24, 2024

“Immaculate” is an artistic piece that isn’t for the weak. The movie is a horror film that goes hand in hand with religion. This film...

The album cover of J.Coles album Might Delete Later where the song 7 Minute Drill is featured.
J. Cole Apologizes After Dissing Kendrick Lamar in 7 Minute Drill
Michael Vaca, News Writer • April 18, 2024

J.Cole released a diss track following Kendrick Lamar's diss toward Drake and J. Cole in a feature song called "Like That," but J.Cole recently...

Don Lugo's Girls Flag Football

Review: Immaculate (2024)

Lugo Starts League with Victory

photo via isabellaphoto.s

In Don Lugo’s recent game they pull off a miraculous comeback against Chaffey High School. This anxiety inducing game started with Lugo throwing a pick six on the opening drive. Neither team attempted a PAT instead went for 2 each time. Lugo ended up throwing pick 6 on a failed fake punt in our own red zone. This brought the score to 16-0. Lugo failed again at striking back instead throwing their 3rd interception of the first quarter. This time Lugo’s defense took the field and stopped Chaffey which brought Kailb and Lugo’s offence back on the field. This time Boe Canty, who has taken up a larger role after running back Elijah Montijo suffered an ankle injury against San Dimas. This drove Lugo down the field which set up a pass from Kalib Pacheco to Sophomore Joshua Morales for his second receiving touchdown of the season. Lugo did not convert on the 2-point attempt. Chaffey drove down the field and scored to end the first quarter with Chaffey at 24 points and Lugo at six.

Quarterback Kailb Pacheco visually struggled in the first quarter, but in the second quarter Kalib seemed to flip a switch and he started making plays. Kalib stated that, “My team surrounding me and pursuing me to get out of my slump and Curlee Kirkpatrick jr. told me that the seniors needed me” helped him to flip that switch and create better plays.

Kalib found his groove and started finding all his receivers with five of his players having five or more receptions with Samuel Chaves leading Lugo with 10 receptions, 122 yards, and 3 touchdowns. Noah Peck, who had seven receptions going into this game finished with a total of eight receptions and 77 yards, having his best game of the season. Noah credited his jump in production to “Talking to the coaches and Kalib letting him trust me more.” Running back Boe Canty got in double digits in carries for the first time this season and made sure to show off his hard work. He had 14 carries for 83 yards with one run being a 33-yard run for a touchdown.

This story wouldn’t be complete without talking about the play call at the end of the half which lead to another highlight catch by Gavin Hrynezuk. Lugo had the ball on Chaffey’s 37 and had on play left until halftime. Sam Plunkett who has been playing almost as Swiss army knife took the field. The play call was a Lateral pass from Kalib to Sam who threw a bomb to Gavin who once again out jumped his defender for the touchdown. In an interview Sam Plunket told me that  “I was feeling other worldly spirits and my confidence boosted through the moon when I heard that play get called.” With a receiver like Gavin Hrynezuk who seems to exceed our expectations every week and who according to Sam “whether or not he was guarded I knew he was going to make the catch”