Starbucks, the catalyst of a penniless student body

Jazmine Coto

A Starbucks coffee cup sits on a desk with a laptop directly behind it. “I love going to Starbucks before school because I can enjoy it at class,” said Jade Galan.

Isabella Franco, News Reporter

Don Lugo students are spending exponentially on Starbucks. People normally go before or after school to get a drink, and the heat of the summer shows that students prefer cold drinks like refreshers and frappucinos. Most of the students claim they visit Starbucks once a week and spend $5.00 to $10.00 each time they go, but in a recent poll of 60 students, while the majority report they visit Starbucks weekly, at least a dozen other students report that they visit Starbucks multiple times a week.

“I go to Starbucks 3-4 times a week, I normally spend $5 to $20 depending on what I get. My cost normally goes up when I get food or add extra things to my drinks,” said Jade Galan, a junior at Don Lugo high school. 

“I go to Starbucks 3-4 times a week after school to get a hot mango tea. I feel like the caffeine helps me focus while the hot drink helps me wind down after a long day of energy,” said senior Chloe Austin.  

Some classic favorites are frappuccinos, refreshers, macchiatos, and lattes. “My mom and I are regulars. We go every Friday to order a caramel frappuccino, and every time we walk in the baristas look at us and say, “the usual?” we laugh and just say yup,” said senior Peyton Bracci. 

“I have a Starbucks addiction. My dad drives me each morning, and sometimes after school, 4-5 times a week. I probably spend around $30 a week because I just love it, but I really like refreshers because I feel like it gives me the energy I need to make it through my day,” said senior Jaedin Lee.

Additionally, the poll of students shows that students don’t just prefer food over drinks. In fact, ordering food was equal to ordering drinks. “My go-to drink is a caramel macchiato with a turkey bacon sandwich for breakfast,” said Jade Galan. When junior Juliet Woolery goes to Starbucks 4 times a week, especially in the morning, she always orders food. “I order a butter croissant or a banana bread and a warm drink, especially ones with caramel because it just makes me feel ready for the day.” 

In a 2019 article from Small Business Magazine, advertisers and markets recognized that “Even non-coffee drinkers have their favorite menu items, and just like the coffee shops of yore, Starbucks has sandwiches, desserts, and other snacks. The truth is, the company has done so well by knowing exactly who its target audience is at any point in time and going all-out to cater to those people.”

But Lugo students LOVE the holidays. Students love pumpkin spice lattes and peppermint mochas. “Pumpkin spice lattes are my favorite because I like the cinnamon taste and the seasonal drinks just make me feel like fall is here,” said sophomore Athena Ruiz. Whether it it morning, noon, or night, a large number of Lugo students love Starbucks all year round.