Community or Four Year: which is the more dependable college choice?

Mrs. Dominguez standing in front of the college banners present in her classroom. Avid teachers promote to Avid students going to a 4-year university.

Kyla Rose, Sports Reporter

Students choosing a four-year college and skipping over the community college route is a much more insightful investment due to the fact that classes are not guaranteed in community college and that students are more likely to stay in community college for a longer time than intended.

Grace Chen, a professor at Haas School of Business states, “In California, only 30% of community college students are receiving the benefits a college education can offer… the large majority of community college students failed to obtain a degree or transfer to a four-year institution.” Along with failing to transfer over to conclude their college degree, students tend to drop out not only with an unfinished education but with quantities of debt. “These students typically dropped out– some with a significant amount of debt and no degree to help them. In addition, only 40% of community college students achieved sufficient credit hours in school.”

“Most Arizona community colleges can also be referred to as ‘dropout factories,’ where the average three-year completion rate is just 18.2%. At some of the schools, the completion rate dropped as low as just 10%,” Chen writes. She explains that community colleges, more specifically in Arizona, tend to be known for low completion rate and low graduation rate.

While many strive straight for a four year, others find it quite challenging to attend college in more ways than one. It is well known that the competitiveness of a university can be intimidating, but that’s not the only obstacle preventing students from going. Money has been one of the largest factors in why students won’t apply to four-year universities. Not having anything to do with their IQ or GPA, but solely so that families and themselves are not in debt from the cost. Others may argue community is the better option. Due to the lower cost and easier access of an acceptance, the school is highly compact along with admission and courses.

Truthfully four years has always been the long-term goal, although competitive, it is guaranteed with extended programs and more beneficial classes rather than a four year. Community is less expensive, though, less reliable.

All together being the more reliable option, 4-year should be the more considerable first choice option when applying to college.