Student athletes coping with injuries

Soccer+player+holding+ice+bag+on+knee+after+getting+injured.+

(Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com)

Soccer player holding ice bag on knee after getting injured.

Kyla Rose, Features Editor

Being an athlete and coping with an injury not only can take a huge toll on your body but also on your mental health as well. When hurt, young athletes must learn to listen to their bodies as it goes through its healing process. Which results in being benched, taking time off to fully recover, and making small sacrifices for the sake of their body. As it may take time to heal, fully understanding the healing process is a great way to start.

Keeping yourself calm going through this whole process of relieve will always be frustrating for athletes. Especially ones who are just dying to jump straight back in. Some injuries to athletes can cause them lose focus quickly and find themselves in an oppressed state of mind. How do we stop ourselves from reaching that point? We continue with our positive mindset and the grit you’re willing to put in to become better again.

Ellie Garcia, a senior who plays for varsity Softball and Volleyball at Don Lugo says, “My will to want to play and win kept me going. It helped me make sure I rehabbed my injury the best I could.” With Ellie’s outlook of her situation she was able to keep herself going as she made sure she became the best she can be. “Also my team, I wanted to get back onto the court as soon as possible to help them out.”

Elizabeth Ortiz, junior who plays fro varsity Water Polo and Volleyball says, “Some advice I would give to someone suffering an injury would be to let your body heal! I know how frustrating it is sitting out, and not being able to play, but in the end your body, health, and safety all have to come first.” Letting your body heal is one of the most recommended things to do when injured even when you don’t want to.

You have to not let this injury get you down, or hold you back, you have to accept it and do everything you can to get better.

— Elizabeth Ortiz

The next time you come across an injury yourself remember, you can’t let it beat you. You also must learn to accept the fact that you’re injured and move with it, not against it. Take all the time you need to get even better then you were better. Elizabeth says, “You have to stay strong and understand that your injury isn’t the end of the world, and that with hard work you can come back from it. I know it’s hard, but you have to fight the urge to just get back out there and start playing right away.”