Play Review: ‘A Christmas Scarol’

Camille Encarnacion, Janessa Meza

“A Christmas Scarol” was another hit performance by the Don Antonio Lugo Theater department. With a mixed Christmas and post-Halloween ambiance, the show made way for a real twist on the original “A Christmas Carol.” Although the performers only had two weeks to prepare, the show was, nonetheless, a success and the DAL student body are anticipating for more.

Camille Encarnacion, Janessa Meza, and

The same cast from The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon struck while the iron was hot just weeks after their last play and came back with A Christmas Scarol which was also written by Dan Zolidis, the play was shown to over 100 people and it was just as the Don Lugo students had expected- spectacular.

The play began with the two main protagonists of the play, Dante Reynolds (Tim) and Samantha Meza (Monique), discussing the gifts they were going to exchange on Christmas Day. Throughout the play, Tim finds himself at a dilemma and the show becomes a series of “ghosts of presents present, past and future” who direct him through different scenarios and outcomes depending on the choice of his present for his beloved Monique. With a parody of Justin Bieber’s hit singles “Boyfriend” and “Sorry, a Mcdonald’s short satire and the varying personalities of Monique’s three ex-boyfriends, the actors, once again, executed a great show and had the audience intrigued, amused and delighted  throughout the entire performance.

The play was brought to the Director Deming’s attention, on a whim, by a couple Advanced Theater students, Nolan Fernandes and Dante Reynolds, during Thanksgiving Break- to which she agreed and put her trust into. Both the cast and crew demonstrated an exceptional amount of effort into the performance and, once again, had the audience laughing and gasping for air all the way through. Deming expresses, “You know, it almost makes me sad that there aren’t two more performances because it usually gets better and better from there on out; but even with the time constraints that the actors had, they really did a great job.”