Quest News

Final decision for OPA’s closure: hope for new schools for students

Oxford had been turned down to stay open for the upcoming school year unless approved by the state. The board secretary of OPA even pleaded,

Photo by Natalie West

Oxford had been turned down to stay open for the upcoming school year unless approved by the state. The board secretary of OPA even pleaded, "I'm here to ask, no beg, for mercy." Many of people are being effected by this decision; CVUSD has plans to transfer all students to different schools.

Natalie West, News Editor

After an important board meeting to make the final decision, CVUSD had voted to close down Oxford Preparatory Academy charter school in Chino. The situation had been under investigation for the past 8 months and slowly came to an end. The board members voted no to the petitions and decision to stay open because of administration reasons on Monday.

Being such a huge case and having a big effect on the citizens of Chino, there are many saddened parents, students, and teachers. A Don Lugo student anonymously comments, “My little cousins have planned to attend this school for so long and it’s sad to see that the outcome had turned bad.” Sue Roche, founder of OPA has not benefitted the school from her own organization, “Enlighten Learning Solutions” infiltrated with OPA and dealt with financial situations inadequately, has also been found to lauder school funds.

OPA is going to the county first then state next if the county denies them to try and keep the school open. Next spring is when the school will find out the outcome. Being left in a such a cessation, some Lugo students are offering a supporting words to the school. Jennifer Morales comments, “I wish them the best of luck, a lot of my brother’s friends attend this school.”