Gene Wilder passes away at 83

A young Gene Wilder poses for his movie, “Willy Wonka.” “Always young and living in our hearts,” comments Lugo student Jennifer Morales. Rest in Peace Gene Wilder 1933-2016.

Natalie West, News Editor

The world renowned actor Gene Wilder better known as, “Willy Wonka” passed away this afternoon. The 83- year old man was pronounced dead in his home on August 29th. He suffered from various complications of Alzheimer’s disease that he had kept a secret from the public for the past three years.

“He simply couldn’t bear one less smile in the world,” Wilder’s nephew, Jordan Walker-Pearlman stated about Gene shortly after his passing. Gene kept his disease a secret for all of these years because he was afraid his fans would see or treat him differently. Jordan also stated that as Gene passed this morning the nurse put on his favorite song, “Somewhere Over The Rainbow,” by Ella Fitzgerald.

Many of his adoring fans and close friends in the entertainment industry were deeply saddened when notified of the incident. Mel Brooks, director of “Young Frankenstein,” tweeted, “Gene Wilder – one of the truly great talents of our time. He blessed every film we did with his magic and he blessed me with his friendship.”