CO2 takes on a new ground

For years, researchers from UCLA have been scalping for a new form of resource to improve our world. This past March, the researchers have discovered a way to turn carbon dioxide into sustainable concrete”- CO2NCRETE. Research leader, Gaurav Sant, stated in an interview, “The approach we are trying to propose is you look at carbon dioxide as a resource- a resource you 
can reutilize”.

For years, researchers from UCLA have been scalping for a new form of resource to improve our world. This past March, the researchers have discovered a way to turn carbon dioxide into “sustainable concrete”- CO2NCRETE. Research leader, Gaurav Sant, stated in an interview, “The approach we are trying to propose is you look at carbon dioxide as a resource- a resource you can reutilize”.

Camille Encarnacion, Tech Reporter

Recently, researchers from UCLA have developed a new form of building material in order to help with the green house gases that continuously pollute the air we breath. After a numerous amount of research, the team finally discovered a way to turn carbon dioxide into concrete- CO2NCRETE. According to professor of Public Policy, J.R. Deshazo, “I decided to get involved in this project because it could be a game-changer for climate policy. This technology tackles global climate change, which is one of the biggest challenges that society faces now and will face over the next century.”

To create this resource, the team is capturing greenhouse emissions from smokestacks and later producing small cones from a 3D printer. For now, the main concern is to condone a deeper research to turn the five centimeter creation, to five meters. Although the team has not completely fabricated blocks of cement to use for full supplication, this breakthrough is an improvement to construct what could be a better future for the well-being of each individual.

The purpose for this research according to Gaurav Sant is to, “see ourselves wanting to develop technologies that might be considered fanciful at one point but become reality very quickly. So we see ourselves looking at the blue sky and saying, well then, let’s come up with ideas which will change the world.”