Out with the old, in with the new

Don+Lugo+is+using+its+older+way+of+nominating+for+homecoming+court.+This+would+be+giving+the+student+body+more+of+a+say+in+who+gets+nominated.+The+point+is+for+everyone+to+get+a+fair+shot+at+being+nominated%2C+explains+Mrs.+Rigo-Witt+

Don Lugo is using its older way of nominating for homecoming court. This would be giving the student body more of a say in who gets nominated. “The point is for everyone to get a fair shot at being nominated,” explains Mrs. Rigo-Witt

Alejandra Rojas, News Reporter

Don Lugo’s 2015 homecoming dance will be the first homecoming dance that Mrs. Rigo-Witt will orchestrate upon her new arrival. Being Lugo alumni, Mrs. Rigo-Witt wanted to change the system back to how it formerly was when she attended Don Lugo.

Instead of having the staff nominate the students for homecoming court, Mrs. Rigo-Witt wanted to give back that privilege to the students.  Every class, club, and sport has to nominate a student from every grade, and then write the names of the nominees on the nomination form. Once all the forms are submitted, the names will be recorded and presented to the student body for them to vote.

Essentially, by returning to its former method, we are giving everyone an equal opportunity to be nominated and possibly win the title of queen or king. “The point is to give students anywhere from the robotics club the same chance as the students in cheerleading to be nominated for homecoming court,” explains ASB advisor Mrs. Rigo-Witt.

This year’s princesses are Izabella Ruiz, Alondra Navarette and Daisy Gomez for grades 9 through 11, respectively.  The senior princesses are Kaira Williams, Hannah Hernandez, Valerie Mendoza, Alexis Chaires, and Devyn Yates.