"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

The album cover of J.Coles album Might Delete Later where the song 7 Minute Drill is featured.
J. Cole Apologizes After Dissing Kendrick Lamar in 7 Minute Drill
Michael Vaca, News Writer • April 18, 2024

J.Cole released a diss track following Kendrick Lamar's diss toward Drake and J. Cole in a feature song called "Like That," but J.Cole recently...

Devils Canyon, San Bernardino California. Many hikers who like more challenging terrain hike through the canyon.
Body Found in San Bernardino
Jae Herrera, News Writer • April 18, 2024

On Saturday, April 14th, a plane crashed in the San Bernardino mountains. The Federal Aviation Administration stated that the plane was a twin-engine...

Ruby Franke and her family.
Ruby Franke Convicted with 4 Counts of Aggravated Child Abuse
Sam Konno, News Writer • April 18, 2024

Ruby Franke, a mother of 6, and a family blogger, was convicted with 4 counts of aggravated child abuse in December of 2023. Franke's therapist,...

Shut Down Averted

Anuska Sampedro
Photo of the Capitol in Washington DC in the evening.

To start off, you’re thinking, “What is a government shutdown?” Essentially what a government shutdown is, is when Congress fails to pass some type of funding legislation that is signed into law by the President. Congress is supposed to enact the 12 annual appropriation bills, then federal agencies have to cease all non-essential functions until Congress acts. The last government shutdown from December 22nd, 2018 to January 25, 2019 lasted 35 days, being one of the longest shutdowns in at least 4 decades.

This is most likely leading to some questions, majority of them being how that concerns the people. Small business will have effects in their loans, medical researches would be stalled, including cures for diseases, clean up for good drinking water will be delayed, student aid and student loans would also be disrupted. This effects almost everyone with very different lives, similarly. Everyone needs something, and with government officials being off the job, this would mean huge delays, some bigger for most.

Being in a shutdown for a few days is hard enough, but the long term effects of this would not be good; For example, the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) would go down 0.2% each week that it is in effect. A rise in GDP would signify economic strength, but considering that its going to drop, that would show that the United States has economic weakness, which is not something we want. With a lower GDP, that would mean lower earning and stock prices for the people.

As of now, we know that Biden signed into the stopgap bill, only a couple hours before the deadline at midnight this last Saturday. This helped continue government funding and averted a shutdown completely.