"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

Don Lugos Girls Flag Football Team during a scrimmage game against Chino High School.
Don Lugo's Girls Flag Football
Dyllan Cruz, Features Writer • April 24, 2024

For the first time in Don Lugo’s history, there is a Girl’s Flag Football team! The team officially kicked off in early April with their...

A picture of Sydney Sweeneys character Cecilia dressed as the Virgin Mary.
Review: Immaculate (2024)
Sage Mejia, Review Writer • April 24, 2024

“Immaculate” is an artistic piece that isn’t for the weak. The movie is a horror film that goes hand in hand with religion. This film...

The album cover of J.Coles album Might Delete Later where the song 7 Minute Drill is featured.
J. Cole Apologizes After Dissing Kendrick Lamar in 7 Minute Drill
Michael Vaca, News Writer • April 18, 2024

J.Cole released a diss track following Kendrick Lamar's diss toward Drake and J. Cole in a feature song called "Like That," but J.Cole recently...

Don Lugo's Girls Flag Football

Review: Immaculate (2024)

Substance Abuse is Affecting Students Ability to Learn

Washingtonian
The drug marijuana, known for its effect of pleasant euphoria and relaxation.

Drug usage at Don Lugo High School has spiked tremendously over the years. Whether it’s at home, after school, or even on campus during school hours, the amount of students who abuse these substances continues to rise. The most common usage of substances includes marijuana, nicotine, inhalants, and psychedelics. The usage has spiked more recently due to more accessibility. Especially, due to the legalization of marijuana in California that was made in 2019.

The usage of substances especially marijuana in teens can harm the development of the brain and so much more. Adam Urbina, a student who attends Don Lugo, spoke up about the situation. Urbina describes that hes noticed a lack of motivation in students that he knows who happen to use marijuana often. “I’ve noticed that my peers begin to slack off during class and have grown into the habit over time, causing their grades to decrease”, states Urbina. Urbina also mentions, “Marijuana is more accessible due to peers selling it around the school campus.”

Marijuana begins to affect students memories, coordination, judgement, and reaction time, which are all needed to learn and process schoolwork properly. Without those characteristics at their full potential, their grades begin to decrease over time. A study done by Inside Higher Ed, states that students who use marijuana average a GPA of 2.66 compared to those who didn’t abuse the substance who averaged a 3.10 GPA.

Although marijuana has many negative factors, many students continue to abuse the substance due to it being easily addictive and incredibly accessible.

View Comments (2)