Don Lugo counselors provide students with mental health resources and exercises to get them through the COVID-19 pandemic

Photo curtesy: Don Lugo counselor website

The Don Lugo counselor website with videos that offer students mental health exercises and different ways to relieve their stress.

Jazmine Coto, Managing Editor

Don Lugo counselors have created a new website with informational resources that help aid the mental health of students. The coronavirus pandemic has had a huge impact on the mental health of students and has caused a strain on their everyday lives.

As the weeks turned into months, each day began feeling like a repetition of the day before. Students are feeling lost and the Don Lugo counselors hope to offer their assistance in any way possible, starting with providing resources. The new counselor website has a tab dedicated to mental health resources with a variety of links and phone numbers. Many of the counseling opportunities are free with a counselor referral, and access to an application can be found at the bottom of the page.

With social distancing protocols placed, families have been required to stay at home. Each student has a different home life. With our home life becoming our new school environment, there is not much room to differentiate the two environments. This has led to many students feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or trapped. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Stress can cause feelings of fear, anger, sadness, worry, numbness, or frustration. Including changes in appetite, energy, desires, and interests.” The lack of connection students may be facing with their peers and school may make it difficult to reach out for help. However, the Don Lugo counselors have made it apparent that they will offer their assistance to students and families in need of help.

Learning ways to cope with stress in a healthy way will make you, the people you care about, and those around you become more resilient

— Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The counselor website also has a tab with mental health exercises that students can partake in to alleviate any stress or anxiety they may be feeling. Whether that be journaling, exercising, meditating, listening to music, or eating healthy and getting regular sleep, it is important to find out what alleviates your stress and helps you feel grounded during these unprecedented times. Student’s mental health should not be taken lightly, and Don Lugo students should be aware of the resources that are available to them.