BREAKING NEWS: CVUSD reports six cases of COVID-19 in one day

Camila Aguero-Salas, Opinion Writer

On the heels of a sobering announcement from Governor Gavin Newsom about the rise of coronavirus cases this week, Chino Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) reports six cases of both infected staff and students; the most reported in a single day.

Three of the six cases reported today were students. One student attends Chino High School, and two attend Ayala High School. They mark the first reported cases of CVUSD students since tracking of the virus began in March. The other three cases reported today join the 28 other reported cases of COVID-19 consisting of employees working at CVUSD school campuses and district sites, since July 29. The three employees reported today work at the following schools: Ramona Junior High School, Chino High School, and Wickman Elementary School. All of the cases reported have occurred while the schools are technically still shut down for in-class instructions. The students and employees affected will go through contact tracing consistent with the CDC guidelines. Some aspects of the procedure include “Collect name and phone number of any individual who may have been exposed to the infected employee” and “Determine whether the infected employee has had prolonged direct contact (within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes) with other employees or members of the community during the first two days when the symptoms first started,” according to the CVUSD website. 

The areas utilized by the student is in the process of being cleaned and disinfected as part of the District’s COVID-19 cleaning procedures.

— Dr. Norm Enfield, CVUSD Superintendent

The news of the highest number of daily cases in the CVUSD yet comes precisely when Governor Gavin Newson announced that California was seeing its highest COVID-19 case increase yet with a 51.3% increase on the week of November 1-7. Not only has the state of California seen the highest increase of cases yet, but so has the CVUSD. The number of monthly cases went from one in July, two in August, zero in September, six in October, to a vast 25 in November as of now. 

The news also comes close to the commencement of the influenza season, generally spanning between December and February according to the CDC. Though a vaccine for the SARS-CoV-2 is not yet available to the public, there are preventative measures that can be done by Californians to further prevent the spread of the COVID-19 and to reduce the risk of flu transmission, which can worsen the current state of chaos. For measures regarding the COVID-19, people can make sure to continue wearing masks when outside their homes, reduce gatherings of large groups of people, and get tested if feeling symptomatic or if they have been exposed to someone who has or had the virus. In regards to influenza, people can make sure to get the flu vaccine this year.

Locals can go to the McCoy Equestrian and Recreation Center for COVID-19 testing and flu shots.