Message to my next president: Lead this country like our lives depend on it

Photo Courtesy: Camila Aguero-Salas

Camila Aguero-Salas writes a letter to future president of the United States. The 2020 Presidential Election is projected to be a close one.

Camila Aguero-Salas, Opinion Writer

Dear future president,

This election was very close and I congratulate you on your win. However, winning this election is only the beginning of the hard work and the responsibilities that come with this job. There are many issues that our country is facing right now and the people of the United States need a leader. Whether you have experience in the White House as the President or the Vice President, this term will require you to do what no other president has done in history. It requires you to do more. Our country is facing a deadly pandemic, marginalized communities being ignored and mistreated, and a climate crisis that puts everyone’s life at risk among many other issues.

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected every American’s life. Whether it be students not being able to go to school because of quarantine, the millions of people who filed for unemployment this year, or simply the thousands of people who lost their lives to this disease; you must have a plan to solve this chaos. You must have a plan to lower the spread. Our country has the most cases in the world, according to John Hopkins University. Frankly, that is embarrassing considering the level of development and influence our country has. You, as the president, have a responsibility to listen to the experts and to encourage the American people to wear a mask and social distance.

You also must address the divide that lies in the hearts of the American people. There are hate and tension because of the mistreatment of BIPOC’s, the LGBTQ+ community, undocumented immigrants, and women, among other communities. As the president, one of your obligations is to set an example for the American people of what it means to respect everyone, no matter their background or where they came from. You also must take further action into making sure that there is equal opportunity for people of marginalized communities.

The United States accounts for only about five percent of global population, but is responsible for 30 percent of global energy use and 28 percent of carbon emissions.

— United States Environmental and Energy Study Institute

Last but definitely not least, you must not forget that there is a climate crisis slowly threatening our livelihood and wellbeing. This climate crisis affects everyone especially me, the people of my generation, and the people of future generations. Being in a position with the amount of power that you have, it is fair to say that you owe it to the youth of this country, of this world, and myself, to take real action in attempting to resolve the consequences of climate change. This includes listening to science and planning for reform and legislation that will make our future more sustainable. 

Are you ready to lead this country?

Sincerely,

Camila Aguero-Salas