BREAKING NEWS: School closures extended to May 1 as COVID-19 spreads

The+Don+Lugo+campus+remains+closed+and+empty+as+the+Superintendent+updates+school+closure+to+May+1.+

Annette Deming

The Don Lugo campus remains closed and empty as the Superintendent updates school closure to May 1.

Valerie Torres and Anthony Winslow

Superintendent Norm Enfield released a statement today notifying CVUSD students and parents of the current situation regarding school closures due to COVID-19.  Enfield mentions that Governor Gavin Newsom recently remarked that he thinks schools may remain closed for the rest of the school year. Enfield let CVUSD members know, “After much thought, I have decided to extend the closure of CVUSD schools to Friday, May 1, 2020.”

Superintendent Enfield further explains that the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health and the San Bernardino Superintendent’s Office both support school district decisions to extend school closures to avoid further spread of COVID-19.  Enfield believes, “…this decision is in the best interest of our students, staff and community as we address the challenges of this pandemic together.”  

Enfield’s statement also details the schedule for the current closure of CVUSD schools:  “March 16-March 19: Extended Spring Break. March 20-March 27: Spring Break. March 30-May 1: Schools closed to students.”  He promises that distance learning will continue to be implemented and meal services and technology will continue to be provided to the students who need it.

Gavin Newsom is taking several measures to make the eventual transition back to school for kids as simple as possible.  Noted in an article by Time Magazine, “The state has applied for a federal waiver that means children would not have to face academic tests once they eventually return to school,” because, “We think it is totally inappropriate for kids to worry about coming back and being tested.”  As catalogued by the Redding Record Searchlight, school districts are closing schools all across California, save for a few rural districts planning to stay open as long as possible.

Meanwhile, shelter-in-place orders are taking place in counties across California due to the increasing number of COVID-19 cases. An article by CNBC author William Feuer explains that the number of COVID-19 cases in the US have more than doubled since Monday, rising from 100 to 1,039 cases. Yale University defines a shelter-in-place order as “…finding a safe location indoors and staying there until you are given an ‘all clear’ or told to evacuate. You may be asked to shelter in place because of an active shooter; tornado; or chemical, radiological, or other hazard.” The order is enforceable by law, but officials want it to stay voluntary, as it is a public health situation.

As speculation of school ending with classes online rising, CVUSD continues to notify staff, parents, and students of changes, closures and updates almost daily.