PSA: eating disorders are affecting teenagers everywhere

Most+people+experience+an+eating+disorder.+According+to+the+National+Eating+Disorder+AssociationIn+the+United+States%2C+20+million+women+and+10+million+men+will+suffer+from+an+eating+disorder+at+some+point+in+their+lives.++

Angela Gutierrez

Most people experience an eating disorder. According to the National Eating Disorder Association”In the United States, 20 million women and 10 million men will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lives.”

Angela Gutierrez, Reporter

There is an epidemic taking a toll on people everywhere. It is widespread and affects their social, personal, and academic lives. Eating disorders have become a reoccurring issue discovered in people of all ages, but affect teenagers at an even higher rate.

The outbreak has affected so many young people, healthyteenproject.com reports that, “Eating disorders affect millions of adolescents and young adults in the U.S. alone…95% of those with eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25.” The amount of people who deal with an eating disorder on a daily basis is substantial and includes many high schoolers. Teens who battle with the complication might feel like they are alone in the fight, but that’s certainly not the case.

Numerous websites and organizations have made it their sole purpose to provide a helping hand to those in need of support. One of the largest of these organizations is NEDA (National Eating Disorder Association), a non-profit organization, that is “dedicated to supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders.” Their website informs the public about the disorder and offers help and support to those who feel they are at risk, need treatment, and individuals on the road to recovery.

Eating disorders are serious, life-threatening illnesses that affect all kinds of people, regardless of gender, ethnicity, size, age, or background

— National Eating Disorder Association

Struggling with a mental health issue affects every other aspect of one’s life. Families who have a loved one struggling with an eating disorder are impacted by the disorder as well. Other influences like trends and social media also play a role in adolescent eating disorders which cause society to label and categorize individuals.

At Don Lugo the school psychologist, Modell McEntire, claims that’s he has many students that  go to him seeking help when coping with their eating disorder. He states that an eating disorder is a, “psychological condition that can affect anyone.” When he receives students who are struggling he attempts to encourage the parent and student to get outside help before the issue becomes a life long problem. Support is made available for everyone on campus so they are to never feel as if they are alone.

Eating disorders have become very common in teenagers, including disorders like anorexia, nervosa, and bulimia. Recognizing and being well-informed on the topic can get everyone one step closer to being a part of a community to support those being affected. Websites and organizations like NEDA have contributed to raising awareness through programs and fundraisers, and they will continue to do so until their vision of “a world without eating disorders” is completed.