Amazon’s new initiative opens up jobs

Micheal Everman

During a press conference, Amazon revealed that the company’s new initiative will be opening up jobs throughout the company. By mid 2018 the company plans on creating 100,000 jobs around the company. Some believe that the new initiative could be a way to appease new president elect.

Micheal Everman, Tech Reporter

Amazon revealed a new initiative to offer thousands of jobs to open up to new employees throughout all branches and departments of the online-shopping giant. During an Amazon conference on January 12, the company stated that 100,000 jobs will open up by mid-2018. With the fact that most students will be looking for jobs after graduation, Amazon’s announcement couldn’t have come any sooner.

Amazon currently has almost 180,000 full time jobs throughout its departments. The new jobs are going to be available in all parts of the company, from warehouse workers, retail stores, drone support or even software developers. The company plans that the almost-double in the amount of workers will provide increased functionality along with quicker shipping.

Amazon’s initiative may have other intentions as well; over Donald Trumps campain, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Trump have not seen eye to eye and engaged in several disagreements. A notable goal of the Trump Administration has been to create as many jobs as possible for all people to increase the wealth of the American people. The hiring initiative could be seen as a way to impress Trump and attempt to mend the bond with the President Elect while he takes office.