One school. One family.

One+school.+One+family+is+the+motto+at+Don+Lugo+high+school.+Everyone+on+campus+contributes+to+its+meaning.+Photo+provided+by+Don+Lugo+high+school.+

“One school. One family” is the motto at Don Lugo high school. Everyone on campus contributes to its meaning. Photo provided by Don Lugo high school.

Throughout the campus, posters of encouragement are posted on walls for students to be reminded to be confident and that they are capable of getting through anything. It is small acts of encouragement that truly impact the attitude of the student body, revealing how compassionate the school is and how much the staff care about their students. Don Lugo lives by the motto “One school. One family.” and it carries a valuable meaning for any person that has stepped foot on campus as the faculty and students express its true significance.

A proud and heartened staff makes up an astounding campus and the school would be nothing without their determination to create a welcoming atmosphere. Activities director Mrs. Rigo-Witt is one of the many passionate staff members who pour their heart out to make the school an enjoyable and special place for everyone. When she was asked what “One school. One family.” means to her, she responded with, “It means being united. That we love each other and take care of each other.” 

Class presidents also play a major role in leading their peers by encouraging them to show school spirit and pride. Senior class president Luis Vazquez says, “It is hard work but motivating others is important. We have to treat each other like family and with respect.” When it comes to motivating other students to become ambitious and supporting of each other, class leaders always want to remind the student body to stand tall no matter what gets thrown at them because everyone is capable of reaching their full potential and as a family on campus it is possible.

“One school. One family.” strikes a passion within a person to be proud of Don Lugo and Luis says his passion is to change the perspective of others who do not attend Lugo high school that we are united as a school. “Others schools think that we are just a small school with nothing but I want to change that and prove we are more than what they say we are,” says the proud senior class president. It is important for the students to have a support system so they do not have to feel alone in a place full of opportunity and Luis encourages his fellow peers to unite so everyone can live up to the school motto.

Ms. Yu, an English teacher, has been a part of the Don Lugo community for  years and has seen the school prove itself when it comes to following the motto. Yu states, “‘One school. One family.’ means exactly what it means, it sets us apart from other schools. The students take care of each other and they especially take care of the staff.” She also believes it is something we must always remember because it is a reminder that the school can come together like a family.

ASB president Isaiah Ruiz put in his contribution to represent Lugo as a wonderful fellowship. “To me, ‘One school. One family.’ means we stick together as a school and give each other endless support. The motto is personally true to me and I live up to it by supporting all of our 4 classes, the arts, academics, athletics, and activities to make sure everyone gets their chance to shine,” says Isaiah on his interpretation of the school’s motto. Every single student at Don Lugo has the opportunity to show what they are made of and with open arms, the school embraces its students’ talents and brilliance.

The school has also received a new member of the family, Mrs. Scott, who has come from the staff at Ayala High School but is now one of the vice principals at Don Lugo. Since it is her first year at the school, she is learning to understand the family and beginning to live by “One school. One family.” For her, it means, “…we’re all in this together and we all support each other. Even if we all have differences,…we have a place to belong, everyone has a place to belong, and everyone is included here.” Mrs. Scott has been embraced by the Lugo family and they are happy to have her.

As the school years pass by, students will graduate and move on with their lives but what does not leave them is the memory of the heart-warming community they were once a part of. No matter what reputation Don Lugo is said to have, students and staff prove they have the ability to stand strong as a family to support each other and love one another. Whether it is showing school spirit or pride, there is an abundant amount of students who love their school and they wish nothing more than to embrace the family they are because, at the end of the day, Don Lugo is one school and one family.