Play Review: ‘The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon’

The full cast of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon bows as they receive applause for an exceptional performance.  Donte Reynolds who played Narrator #2 said, the performance went well we broke a leg and we hope everyone enjoyed the show. This is the first play the Don Lugo theater department hosted this year.

Photo Courtesy of Mariah Marquez

The full cast of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon bows as they receive applause for an exceptional performance. Donte Reynolds who played Narrator #2 said, “the performance went well we “broke a leg” and we hope everyone enjoyed the show.” This is the first play the Don Lugo theater department hosted this year.

Mariah Marquez, A&E Editor

The opening night for the play The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon went better than students expected. The play broke down what the acting world would call the “fourth wall” a performance convention in which the actors engage with the audience instead preforming as if they are not there. This action made for a great show and had the audience intrigued and amused throughout the entire performance.

The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon is a play comprised of 10 fairy tales; but, “these are not your ordinary Disney fairy tales.” The scripts intent was to tell these tales with an interesting but hilarious twist and the Don Lugo High School Theater Department pulled the task off flawlessly. It was clear that the theater department put an exceptional amount of effort into the production because it had the audience laughing and gasping for air all the way through.

Lugo students Jessica Apalategui and Donte Reynolds stole the show with their lead roles as Narrator #1 and Narrator #2. Apalategui and Reynolds both had unpredictable personalities that kept the audience on their toes in addition to both of them having a stage presence that exercised compelling charm. Not to mention student Nolan Fernandez executed a total of ten roles with charisma and excitement like no other.

The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon was fast paced, wild, and ultimately hilarious! The play was the first play in a longtime that has left an audience walking out of a Don Lugo Theater Production with a smile thinking to themselves, “now that was a seven dollars well spent.”