Midnight madness

Mason Lopez

Coach Wilson slam dunks the ball into the net. “It was a great experience and I hope to be able to do that again next year,” stated Robert Sosa.

Tylia Dixon

Don Lugo high school hosted their first Midnight Madness that included a teachers vs. students basketball game. During the first half, Don Lugo teachers defeated girls’ basketball 19-30 but were then dominated by boys basketball to score of 46-36.

In the first half, teacher, Phil Garcia, led his team with 10 points and student Alyssa Fernandez led her team with 9 points. In the second game, teacher, Odysses Cantos led his team with 13 points as well as student Dean Walts also leading his team with 12 points.

Putting up a good fight, the teachers could not keep up with the boys. Garcia stated, “Since there was some down time between the first and second game the teachers got rusty, but we could have easily taken the boys if we played them first.” Senior, Maddy Ramirez, commented, “I think it was a fun game but a little intimidating playing against the teachers because they are a lot bigger than us and the fans were on their side.”

Midnight Madness will now become a new Don Lugo tradition according to Athletic Director, James Donohoe, who stated,” We will be continuing this game every year from now on.”