Big or Small, Save Them All

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and many are showing their support. Wearing pink is the essential style of showing ones support. Many take action by joining the fight against cancer.

Kaitlyn Valenzuela

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and many are showing their support. Wearing pink is the essential style of showing one’s support. Many take action by joining the fight against cancer.

Kaitlyn Valenzuela, Reporter

It is breast cancer awareness month and everyone has been fastening their pink ribbons in support of the fighters and survivors. Breast cancer is diagnosed in women more than any other cancer and an estimated 246,660 women in the United States will be diagnosed. People battling with this burden face tremendous obstacles and it is inspiring for others to not only support them but to seek more attention on the issue and that anyone can be in danger of getting breast cancer.

Many do not take into consideration that anyone is prone to getting cancer and believe that they are too young to get breast cancer leading them to ignore any warning signs. It is recommended to speak with your doctor if you are more likely to be diagnosed especially if you have a history of breast cancer in your family. It can happen at any age and it is important to be aware of you risk factors, regardless of your age.

A common way to check for breast cancer is going in for a mammogram. A voting poll on Twitter asked Don Lugo users if they have a family member who has had to get a mammogram due to breast cancer or a history of breast cancer in their family and if they would possibly need one too; with a total of 27 votes 30% said “yes (just a family member),” 19% said “yes (and I will need one too),” and 51% said they do not know what a mammogram is. As a discussion of these results, there is obvious ignorance about these x-ray exams that can potentially find breast cancer in women who have no symptoms. cc

Not only is breast cancer found in women, but it is actually found in men as well. According to statistics of the Susan G. Komen organization, “The lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000 in U.S. men.” Although it is a low chance, men are also recommended to have check-ups and speak to their doctor for any possible warning signs of the cancer.

As for the fight against breast cancer, many organizations have spread and encouraged support to those who are affected and raise awareness. Ranging from fundraising races, walks, and marathons hosted by organizations such as Susan G. Komen or the National Breast Cancer Foundation contribute to the search for the cure and opportunities for women who are diagnosed receive better treatment. Getting involved can impact and save many lives.

Breast cancer awareness month also encourages schools throughout the country to support those who are affected. Many athletes wear pink gear during sport events and it is common for the student body to participate too by wearing pink. Schools may also honor the strong women who are still battling cancer and those who have won their battle.

It is important to show support for the incredible women (and men) who fight against breast cancer during their daily lives while still trying to be strong through all their pain. It is truly heartwarming and overwhelming to see an immense amount of people standing beside them and helping breast cancer patients become breast cancer survivors. Losing is not an option for them.