Sen. Sanders Hosts Free Rally in Pomona

Lugo senior and self proclaimed political activist Michael Vazquez, couldnt wait to join the rally and Feel the Burn.  With over 2,000 people in attendance, Sanders campaining could prove effective in Southern California. Vazquez exclaimed, of course Im going!

Lugo senior and self proclaimed political activist Michael Vazquez, couldn’t wait to join the rally and “Feel the Burn.” With over 2,000 people in attendance, Sanders campaining could prove effective in Southern California. Vazquez exclaimed, “of course I’m going!”

Sabrina Chaffino, Editor

With the race for party nominations heating up, the potential nominees for both parties are visiting Southern California. Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders is hosting a rally in Pomona tonight at 7:30pm, Thursday, May 26 at Ganesha High School. The close proximity of the rally has sparked an interest in the people of the Inland Empire, especially the youth of Lugo.

California is a state with a long voting history of voting for the Democratic party. For this reason, it is crucial for the Democratic candidates to host rallies and reach out to communities in order to clench the nomination. Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, has visited Southern California as well, but has not received as warm welcome as Sanders has, partially due to his political party affiliation. The Sanders committee has reported that So Cal democrats will be able to “Feel the ‘Bern'” in other surrounding cities like Ontario but that has yet to be confirmed.

The former Vermont senator has been successful in gaining support among younger voters throughout his campaign. Lugo students have been “feeling the Bern,” and some plan on attending the event. “I was shocked and excited to find out he would be so close and that I could actually go to a candidate rally,” said a Lugo senior.

The rally is free for all, and will be held in Ganesha High School’s football stadium.