Quest News Conquers First Day at National Journalism Convention

Mrs.+Deming+and+Quest+News+staff+working+on+last+minute+edits+on+stories.+They+are+preparing+for+the+on+site+critique+tomorrow.+Jenna+Huante+explains+Im+honored+to+share+this+experience+with+such+talented+writers.+

Mrs. Deming and Quest News staff working on last minute edits on stories. They are preparing for the on site critique tomorrow. Jenna Huante explains “I’m honored to share this experience with such talented writers.”

Jessika Broadway, Editor-In-Chief

Don Lugo’s Quest News’ staff made their way to this year’s national spring journalism convention at the Westin Bonaventure hotel in downtown Los Angeles.

Day one began with media tours. The National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) and the Journalism Education Association (JEA) offered a variety of tours. Serena Bettis, a student from Fossil Ridge High School in Colorado,  explained,  “I went to AP (Associated Press), and it was really cool to see people who are actually doing major news stories. It was really neat hearing from someone who has been in the business for a long time. We also learned more about how AP works.” Quest News reporters went to video game design company, Iam8bit in Century City, KNBC in Burbank, the LA Times in Los Angeles, and USC. All the tours covered some aspect of journalism from producing to reporting.

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles is playing host to over 4,000 journalism students from across the nation. The National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) and the Journalism Education Association (JEA) hosts two conferences a year. "The last conference even remotely close to Don Lugo was in San Diego two years ago, so the fact that this year's convention is in L.A. is awesome because that's super close for us and will make this opportunity a reality for our journalism students."
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles is playing host to over 4,000 journalism students from across the nation. The National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) and the Journalism Education Association (JEA) hosts two conferences a year. “The last conference even remotely close to Don Lugo was in San Diego two years ago, so the fact that this year’s convention is in L.A. is awesome because that’s super close for us and will make this opportunity a reality for our journalism students.” explained Quest News journalism adviser, Mrs. Deming, CJE.

The NSPA/JEA national conventions attract thousands of high school students from all over the country annually. There are two conventions held a year, one in the fall and one in the spring. This year’s spring convention was held in Los Angeles, putting the opportunity right in the backyard of Chino.

The Quest News is excited to see what they are able to gain from this new experience. Ian Edwards, a Don Lugo student, stated ” I’m just really stoked to learn what the journalism field actually is.” Hopefully their expectations are met.