The Waltz Story

Alexis Ibarra

Dean Waltz is a Don Lugo varsity basketball from the class of 2017. Dean’s first year as a conquistador was under his father’s assistant coaching. “Coming over to Don Lugo provided me with more of a family type of feeling,” Dean says.

Aaron Emmerling, Reporter

New Don Lugo basketball player, Dean Waltz, has had a great year, and much of that success can be credited to his father, Coach waltz. He has been coaching at Lugo for a few years as the varsity girls basketball head coach. During the 2015-2016 season he stepped in as an assistant boys varsity coach.

This season is Dean’s first season as a conquistador. Dean came to Don Lugo from Diamond Ranch High School, where he performed exceptionally on the varsity squad. Dean being a junior, has earned his starting spot and large amounts of minutes from hard work and dedication. When asked what his motive to come to Lugo was his response was, “I wouldn’t say anything drove me towards it.”

When asked if having his father as a coach changed anything Dean said, “It’s about the same. You can’t treat it any differently. Your coach is your coach no matter what.” While his father has been here for quite a while, Dean has only recently joined us and will be playing his final season of basketball during the 2016-2017 season.