Senior Retreat Connects With Students

Seniors+from+the+class+of+2016+posed+for+a+photo+in+front+of+the+Idywilld+Pines+Dining+Hall.+They+felt+that+they+created+a+bond+that+will+last+through+graduation.++Dont+be+the+senior+that+misses+out+on+the+memories+youll+never+forget.+said+Vincent+Poteet.+

Seniors from the class of 2016 posed for a photo in front of the Idywilld Pines Dining Hall. They felt that they created a bond that will last through graduation. “Don’t be the senior that misses out on the memories you’ll never forget.” said Vincent Poteet.

Aryana Watson and Blake Kemble

On February 5th-7th was Don Lugo’s annual Senior Retreat. 135 seniors along with a handful of staff members took a weekend trip to Idyllwild Pines Camp. To Don Lugo alumni that had a negative experience, the class of 2016 thinks otherwise.

Senior Retreat is about connecting with your graduating class and breaking down barriers that have been built up over the years. Students had to allow themselves to be vulnerable in order to get the full effect of Senior Retreat. Alexis Ibarra says, “I thought all we were going to do during this retreat was talk about feelings. I learned that it’s not so much talking about your feelings, it’s more like embracing them.”

Senior Jenna Highstreet expresses that she went in to retreat not knowing what to expect and had a bitter attitude towards others and felt that others were inconsiderate. “Coming out of retreat, I felt that I could understand my peers better because in reality they’re going through things in their own lives that causes them to be the way they are.” says Jenna.

Many students were given the opportunity to renew friendships throughout the course of the weekend, Jazmine Rojas took that opportunity. “I started talking to an old friend, who was actually my best friend, that I lost connection with. I think I would’ve regret not making amends.” Not only did this retreat help students reconnect with past friends, but it also rekindled the love between a father and son.

Mr. Poteet, a chaperon for this years retreat, had the chance to work out the kinks in his relationship with his son, Vincent Poteet.The seniors were able to experience this memorable moment . According to Mr. Poteet this was one of the many milestones in his life because  Him and his son revitalized their bond, and after returning home they maintained it. When asked about his relationship with his son after retreat he said ” We are a little closer and more accepting of each other.

Keith Hawkins, an inspirational speaker, gave a motivational speech to those who attended senior retreat in hopes of providing a sense of guidance before taking the step into the real world. His main principles were, ” Don’t say sorry, be better. What you put in is what you are going to get out of it.” Mr. Hawkins presented many bonding games to help familiarize the graduating class members.

Sitting down having a one on one conversation with another senior made people very uncomfortable at the start, but ended up being the most rewarding experiences for them. Karen Gomez says, “While talking to these people it made me realize that my life isn’t the worst. Someone else has it much harder than I do and I need to appreciate that more.”

Keith Hawkins asked all the seniors to pass on this message to anyone they felt needed it,” You may not have been able to choose your life, but you do get to choose how you live it.”