Delia Smallwood’s Thriving Legacy

Pictures donated by staff members

Don Lugo Faculty and students remember their beloved secretary Delia Smallwood. Many people celebrated Delia at her dazzling memorial. Delia will always be the heart of Don Lugo.

Aryana Nunez

On January 2, 2016 one of Don Lugo’s most prized secretaries, Mrs. Delia Smallwood, was sent to heaven and left everlasting memories behind for her friends and family throughout her adventurous life.
Mrs. Smallwood worked at Don Lugo for approximately 18 years and has been loved by everyone who came into her life because of the hard worker she was. Debbie Hoy, Lugo’s registrar, stated, “We know it’s going to be hard going on without her but we also realize she set the standards so high for not only our office but our entire school.”  As days go on, many co-workers remember her lively spirit and audacious personality.

Once the bereaved Don Lugo faculty heard of her passing they all joined together to create a memorable ceremony for their very special and loved friend. On the day of the memorial many people gathered to remember her beautiful spirit and to celebrate her life. Wendy Graves, assistant principal’s secretary, acknowledged, “It is harder because now that is it over we are waiting for her to come back. As far as the ceremony went, it totally did her justice and there was well over  375 people there because she touched many lives.”

Delia had a positive attitude that impacted every student and staff member that she came in contact with, which is why people loved her so much. Patty Vizcaino, attendance clerk, expressed that she will always remember Delia saying “Don’t let anyone dull your sparkle.” Many people remember Delia as the eyes and ears of the school because of how hard she worked day and night for Don Lugo.

Delia was a happy soul who was very involved with family and the school, but she also dealt with many struggles. Although Delia had to overcome many different types of cancer, she still chose to love life and live it to the fullest. “After treatments Delia tried to wear a wig but felt uncomfortable so when her hair grew back she wanted to be fun so she’d dye it different colors. Some students would even request crazy colors like blue and green to go with her fun personality.”, explained Debbie Hoy.

The Don Lugo staff honored Delia by dying their hair pink in memory of her favorite color and to symbolize their friendships. “The best way we can honor her is by going on and doing the best job we can.” stated Debbie Hoy. To ensure that Delia’s love for the students will always be remembered at Don Lugo, they are putting together a scholarship in her name.

Don Lugo will always cherish their strong leader and the memories shared with her throughout the years. All of Lugo admired the strength and courage Delia put forth and they are comforted knowing that she is no longer suffering. Her life was simply beautiful in it’s own way.

Many people will be at peace knowing that they will have an angel looking down from the heavens above. She accomplished many achievements including being a mother, wife, and being Don Lugo’s head Conquistador. Delia Smallwood’s lasting mark on everyone that passed through Don Lugo’s door will never be forgotten.