Kidnapping and Sexual Assault at Nearby High School

Ontario PD are searching for a man who attempted to sexually assault and kidnap a Chaffey High School student. The Hispanic male was last seen fleeing towards Fifth Street. Walk in pairs, advises principal secretary Estella Stringer.

Photo: Ontario PD

Ontario PD are searching for a man who attempted to sexually assault and kidnap a Chaffey High School student. The Hispanic male was last seen fleeing towards Fifth Street. “Walk in pairs,” advises principal secretary Estella Stringer.

Sabrina Chaffino, Editor

On Saturday, January 16, a 14-year-old Chaffey High School student was the victim of an attempted kidnapping and sexual assault on school grounds. Campus cameras caught footage of the attack and were used to create a sketch of the suspect. Ontario PD currently have no leads.

The incident occurred around 9:45pm at the corner of Fifth Street and Palm Street, which is a poorly lit area. The student was grabbed by a Hispanic man in his early 40s and taken to nearby bushes. The suspect struggled to remove the victim’s clothing but failed and was able to break free. She was chased by the man until she found a school staff member who took her to safety.

The student was able to describe characteristics of the suspect to police. He was around 5’10”, approximately 200 lbs, and had a patchy beard. He was last seen wearing a blue/grey hoodie with yellow writing on the sleeves, black denim pants, and white shoes.

“We are strongly recommending pick up at our well-lighted 4th Street Parking lot, the one with the solar panels.”Chaffey principal Dr George Matamala said in a phone call made home to parents. “I have also asked all coaches and club advisors to review and, if necessary, adjust their student pick up procedures.”

In an interview with Dr. Matamala’s secretary, Estella Stringer, she stated that the footage and the suspect’s sketch are all the resources they have available as of late. She also wants to remind students, not only in Ontario but everywhere, to always be alert, and try to walk without headphones on.

Chaffey High School has had cameras on campus for more than 10 years, and they have proven to be helpful tool for this case. Upon discovery of new information, Detective Gary Naranjo of Ontario PD can be contacted at (909) 395-2764.