UC Application Influx Hits Record High

Steve McConnell

For the first time ever, applications to the University of California college system exceeded 200K. Two thirds of those accepted will be reserved for freshman students.

Sabrina Chaffino, Editor

For the 2016-2017 school year, University of California campuses received their highest recorded number of applicants. The total of 206,339 applications includes both freshman and transfer students. The number has been rising increasing each year, but this is the first in which the total is above 200,000.

According to the UC system’s president, the campuses with the most increases were UCLA and UC Berkeley. UC San Diego, Santa Barbara and Irvine were most popular amongst California residents. Overall, colleges saw an increase in 6 4% system-wide.

How will this affect Don Lugo students who applied to UC colleges? Some fear it may alter their chances of acceptance, because the selection pool of potential students will be larger. When asked, senior Tristan Torres simply stated, “I’m not gonna get in.”

However, even with transfer students accounting for one third of new students for the next school year, the UC system is planning to select 5,000 more undergraduate students than it did next year.

In light of this information, Lugo students and other California residents can be assured that their probability of acceptance will not change much.