Toxic Shock Syndrome Associated with Super Absorbent Tampons: Female Students Should Know

In+a+recent+story+by+the+New+York+Daily+News%2C+Toxic+shock+syndrome+is+most+common+with+use+of+super-absorbent+tampons.+A+high+percentage+of+Don+Lugos+female+students+had+no+idea+of+its+cause%2C+symptoms%2C+or+treatments.+

David Paul Morris/Bloomberg/New York Daily News

In a recent story by the New York Daily News, Toxic shock syndrome is most common with use of super-absorbent tampons.” A high percentage of Don Lugo’s female students had no idea of it’s cause, symptoms, or treatments.

Tania Nieblas and Maria Lucero

The majority of female students prefer the all too simple and less messy tampon over the maxi-pad, which is no surprise, but in a recent poll, 95% of the female students questioned about Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) were clueless of the rare yet serious condition.

Toxic Shock Syndrome is associated with the over use of super absorbent tampons. It is caused by poisonous substances that are released from overgrowth of bacteria. According to the University of Illinois McKinley Health Center, “Hyperabsorbent tampons may facilitate an infection because their prolonged intra-vaginal use enhances the bacterial growth.”  Studies show that more than a third of women affected by this are under the age of 19.

But how does this situation occur exactly? Sliding tampons into place can make tiny tears in the walls of the vagina, especially while using the super-absorbency tampons. A product, not made to be used for longer than 8 hours, can cause the bacterial poisons, produced by staphylococcus aureus bacteria, to enter the bloodstream.

The symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome may vary and are typically misleading to young ladies. These include symptoms such as: high fevers, low blood pressure, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, a sunburn-like rash and red eyes, all symptoms that look and feel like other common symptoms associated with colds and flu. Abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, and organ dysfunction are also common and require immediate medical attention.

According to the National Institutes of Health, up to 50 percent of cases have been deadly. Usually people with TSS need to be hospitalized right away.  Most patients with the disease would be treated with an IV to fight dehydration and antibiotics to fight the infection.

Thankfully, TSS can be prevented in various ways. Women can reduce the risk of getting this scary disease by making sure they are being hygienic and changing their tampon every 4 hours or so. Using tampons with the lowest absorbency necessary for your blood flow is also a beneficial risk reducer. Another option would be simply opting for different products such as maxi-pads.

“The amount of things we don’t know about the products we use on a regular basis is crazy, and it just makes me want to think before I use certain things especially when it comes to female friendly things,” shared class of 2017’s Diana Zavala.

Understanding female products, their proper uses, and the signs of TSS greatly reduces the chance of having the condition. For more information visit the Kotex FAQ’s on Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) and learn more about the causes and symptoms that effect young ladies.