Caught on camera

Cameras above the ASB room and throughout Lugo were installed August 2015 as a result of recent vandalism.

Sabrina Chaffino, News Editor

Surveillance cameras are now on campus as of the 2015-2016 school year. Due to the high amount of vandalism and theft in recent years, Officer Kato applied for a grant to receive surveillance equipment under Mr. Jones’ authority. The grant was awarded in September 2014. The money for 16 new cameras plus installation costs was covered under the grant. 8 additional cameras were given to Lugo by the district, the result of Chino Police Chief Karen Comstock’s worrisome calls to the superintendent.

Cameras are now present around the parking lot, pool, farm, gym, the stadium and its concession stands, and at all entrances. There are no cameras in classrooms.

Despite one inactive camera having already been vandalized, Dr. Cabrera  believes that this security system “will act as a deterrent for some of the vandalism that is going on.” However, Don Lugo students view the situation differently. “I think it just shows how the school district doesn’t trust us,” said Jose Salcedo (’17).

The surveillance cameras, which will be monitored by administration, will be active this week.