"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

Don Lugos Girls Flag Football Team during a scrimmage game against Chino High School.
Don Lugo's Girls Flag Football
Dyllan Cruz, Features Writer • April 24, 2024

For the first time in Don Lugo’s history, there is a Girl’s Flag Football team! The team officially kicked off in early April with their...

A picture of Sydney Sweeneys character Cecilia dressed as the Virgin Mary.
Review: Immaculate (2024)
Sage Mejia, Review Writer • April 24, 2024

“Immaculate” is an artistic piece that isn’t for the weak. The movie is a horror film that goes hand in hand with religion. This film...

The album cover of J.Coles album Might Delete Later where the song 7 Minute Drill is featured.
J. Cole Apologizes After Dissing Kendrick Lamar in 7 Minute Drill
Michael Vaca, News Writer • April 18, 2024

J.Cole released a diss track following Kendrick Lamar's diss toward Drake and J. Cole in a feature song called "Like That," but J.Cole recently...

Don Lugo's Girls Flag Football

Review: Immaculate (2024)

A Conversation With Our New School Counselor, Ms. Hernandez

Our newest school counselor Ms.Hernandez ready to help!

We all need help sometimes. Whether you’re rich, poor or somewhere inbetween, you’re going to need assistance at some point in your life. As high school students, we need all the help we can get. A high schooler’s life can be complex and difficult to navigate alone. Thankfully, each and every one of us has a counselor. These aides lend a helping hand when it comes to classes, college and even personal life. One in particular, Ms. Joanna Hernandez is settling into her first year here at Don Lugo, and is excited to help.

“I’ve always wanted to help people. That’s something that’s never changed,” states Ms. Hernandez’s when asked why she became a counselor, and I couldn’t doubt her for a second. Her eyes immediately lit up with an infectious, childlike wonder and joy the moment I asked. She told me about her experience as a first generation college student and how troubling a high schoolers life can truly be. She explained that kids are often pigeon holed into being an academic tool or simply viewed as a student, when in reality, they have complicated and intricate lives. “I’m always learning all the time, from students as well, you know,  hearing from them as to what they want a school counselor to do and what help they need. Every student needs different things. There’s just so much that a student goes through.” Ms. Hernandez then expanded on the importance of a space that a student can feel safe or free in. She believes students need to be reminded that they are human beings and are able to express themselves freely and effectively. 

Besides helping students, Ms. Hernandez enjoys other aspects of her work. When asked about her favorite part, she gave me an insight into the spontaneity of the job. “I like that it’s different every day. I don’t know what my day is going to look like.” We then joked about how being interviewed by a student was a prime example of the surprise factor in her line of work before she mentioned another extremely important aspect of support. “I like to put myself in their shoes. I was once a student and I think it’s very important to have someone believe in you. To remind you that ‘you got this, you can do it. I know you’re struggling right now, but keep putting in the effort.’ So, one of my favorite things is seeing that they believe in themselves.” 

As a final question, I wanted to dig into her psyche and ask about how she feels and what her goals are at Lugo. “Every school is a family, and my goal this year is to get to know the family. I want to listen for what might be something that I can contribute. For example, I want to have a college transition workshop for students and parents. I have all the workshops, but now it’s just me seeing if this is something that students want or that they will go to. That’s the part where, as a school counselor, we have to be good listeners and figure out if that is something students and parents would attend.” 

Overall, Ms. Hernandez was one of the most enthusiastic and energetic staff members I’ve had the pleasure of talking to. She would tell me anecdote after anecdote of her experiences and decisions that brought her to where she is today. Filled with life and ready for anything, Ms. Hernandez is here to help.