"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

"Keeping Lugo Connected"

Quest News

The student parking lot at Don Lugo High School on a normal weekday.
The Struggles of High School Drivers
Marcos Ramirez, Features Writer • April 9, 2024

Driving to school can be stressful, annoying, and tiring. Most of us have been driven to school our whole lives by our mother, father or sibling....

The ending of Kung Fu Panda 4 showing Po and the past villains he defeated.
Return of the Dragon Warrior: A review of Kung Fu Panda 4
Sage Mejia, Review Writer • April 4, 2024

Kung Fu Panda 4 was disappointing; The plot was extremely one-dimensional and overall just meh. It starts with Master Shifu telling Po that there...

Andrew Hartman, a student at Don Lugo watching the new Megamind sequel.
Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate
Sam Konno, News Writer • March 22, 2024

Megamind vs The Doom Syndicate (2024) is the sequel to the film, Megamind (2010) and the pilot for the television series Megamind Rules!.  According...

Don Lugo’s Wish You Well Club

The Wish You Well Club making friendship bracelets during a meeting.
Dyllan Cruz

The Wish You Well Club has made its debut on Don Lugo’s campus! The new club focuses on mental health and creating safe spaces for all students. The club was founded by Melissa Rocha, a senior scholar who is also the president of the Latino Student Union. After finding out that Don Lugo didn’t offer a peer counseling program, she decided it was time to create an optimistic outlet for the student body. Rocha started the club in the beginning of this school year in an effort to spread positivity and discuss mental wellness.

The club officers include President Melissa Rocha, Vice President Roxanna Miramontes, Secretary Julia Zelaya, Treasurer Giauna Triplett, Communications officer Ethan Flores, and Media Director Marahya Helsper. The club is advised by economics and psychology teacher, Mrs. Ragsdale, intervention counselor, Ms. Reyes, and Avid advisor and counselor, Ms. Silva.

Rocha described some of the goals of the club, “I wanted students to feel welcomed and encouraged in the club so they can take their mental health into consideration and make it a priority. They could spread positivity in return and make our school a better place. I want to break the traditional idea that mental health discussions are taboo.”

Mental health is conventionally a topic that isn’t conversed in historically underrepresented groups. For a long time, society would deem someone as weak, sensitive, and sometimes crazy for discussing mental wellness subjects, and it was worse for people of color. But that stigma isn’t true. Mental health is an important part of people and it needs to be talked about.

Considering the fact that Don Lugo is populated by a majority of people of color, having a group dedicated to mental health is vastly important. “It is common for people of color to be told that talking about their mental health is something that shouldn’t be done. I want to change this and let students better themselves as they prioritize their emotions, confidence, and any mental health barriers,” Rocha remarked.

Active member of the club, Senior Sarah Medina commented, “The Wish You Well Club is really unique in the sense that it creates a space where people our age can come together and be real. By having an open space I think I’ve become more comfortable with talking about [mental health] and more open with the people in my life.”

The Wish You Well Club has frequent meetings in the school’s wellness center. The meetings are held during lunch and are always open to anyone, regardless of membership. The club often has venting sessions, calming activities, and a tranquil environment.

Medina also stated, “The types of conversations we have are simple yet necessary and can have a huge impact on students who may feel isolated in other spaces.”

Rocha closed off with a final comment, “I believe this club is a step closer to making people more comfortable with discussing mental wellness. It is so necessary for us to take a moment to reflect on it and make changes when we need to.”

The Wish You Well Club can have a positive impact on anyone who attends, no matter gender, race, or sexual orientation.  Everyone should make a point of attending a club meeting, they will welcome anyone with open arms.