Join Quest News!

Erika Hernandez

Quest News is a national award winning journalism program, displayed are the some of the awards the program has won.

Interested in news, commentary, reviewing, podcasting, photo/videography, or writing for the LA Times? Don Lugo has the program for you! Quest News is a national award winning journalism program at Don Lugo High School. Students pitch their ideas weekly and write about the school environment or any current events. Quest News is an excellent way to improve those college applications and impress universities! Many graduating seniors have been accepted to great colleges, including USC and Stanford, for being involved in our program. There are many opportunities to grow through the program, as there are multiple important positions offered, Editor-in-Chief, managing editor, broadcast manager, and social media manager to name a few. We also attend the JEA national convention annually, where we travel to a different city and compete for national journalism awards!

“Joining Quest News is a great opportunity to come out of your shell… It’s an environment where you can talk and share your opinions”, says David Fender, a senior at Don Lugo and the current Editor-in-Chief. Everyone is welcome to the program, there are no requirements to join. Even if you’re not comfortable with your writing, that’s perfectly okay! Our advisor, Mr Crisafi, and the editors are always happy to help you with any trouble you’re having. If writing isn’t your thing, Quest News also has a podcast and a website where you can work with tech and editing. We are also starting to introduce video journalism to the program, students can be trained to use camera equipment and make their own unique content. 

“I would recommend this class to anyone that wants to do something and leave a legacy”, says David Fender.

“I don’t feel a lot of stress in this class… It’s beneficial if you plan on going to college”, says Alyssa Sandoval, a junior at Don Lugo and commentary writer. One of our main priorities is to always make sure everyone feels at home in our program. We strive to make sure everyone can succeed and grow. Former members have had the chance to be a part of the LA Times High School Insider, where their own stories were featured on the official page of the LA times! 

Quest News treats one another like family, there’s a place in the program for everyone from every background. There are opportunities for all students to develop and improve their journalism skills, even without any prior experience in the field. Definitely consider being a part of the program’s legacy if you are interested in anything we offer! If you have any questions, please reach out by emailing our journalism advisor, [email protected], and chatting with any of current editors in the program.