The future of volleyball League Champions

Don Lugo Volleyball

The Don Lugo Girls Volleyball team with the Queens of the Court Trophy after beating rival, Chino High on Senior Night. “My favorite memory of volleyball is never losing to Chino and keeping our trophy,” said Nicole Boskovich

Adrie Villa, Sports Editor

The Don Lugo Volleyball team is made up of 12 girls, 10 of which are seniors, and a single sophomore and a freshman. These 10 seniors have been through an interesting Volleyball career at Don Lugo. From false hope of a junior season and having to rebuild their team, to an Undefeated League Championship, and a CIF first-round win, the real question remains, what does the future of these Senior Volleyball players entail?

When the Covid-19 Pandemic took away the Spring 2020 sports season, volleyball players were still hopeful they would get a season the next Fall.  The next year, in the 2020-2021 school year, every season sport was played during the spring, every sport EXCEPT Girls Volleyball. “It kind of felt unfair and sad, we were losing a lot of seniors who were really good,” said Nicole Boskovich.

Nicole is one of the captains and a setter who plans on attending college to pursue volleyball. She has been on varsity volleyball for 4 years and has been a part of 2 League Championships and also on Varsity Cross Country and Track. She is interested in pursuing Interior architecture.  

Mireya Ortiz is a tri-sport athlete playing Volleyball, Water Polo, and Softball. Mireya wants to go to a community college then later transfer to a 4-year college and major in Psychology. “Now that volleyball is over, I will be preparing for my other sports by practicing everyday,” said Mireya.

Seven of the ten seniors still have winter and/or spring sports to look forward to. Some of the other sports that the girls are involved in include: Track and Field, Water Polo, Swim, Soccer, and Softball. While the girls are upset that their volleyball season has come to an end, they are excited about their other sports seasons.

After an amazing undefeated season, the girls unfortunately lost to South Hills in the 2nd round of CIF. The seniors were emotional as they had just played their last high school volleyball game ever. Some of these athletes have aspirations of continuing their volleyball career in college while others want to attend college for academics. Whatever path they choose, the Don Lugo Volleyball program will miss them dearly.