BREAKING NEWS: Blue Ridge Fire Update

After+mandatory+evacuation+orders+in+the+city+of+Yorba+Linda+and+Chino+Hills+were+lifted%2C+over+14%2C000+acres+were+burned+and+47%25+of+containment+was+reported+this+morning.+All+Evacuation+Orders+have+been+lifted+for+the+Blue+Ridge+Fire%2C+reported+California+Department+of+Forestry+and+Fire+Protection+%28CAL+FIRE%29.+

Photo Courtesy of Blaine Pollard

After mandatory evacuation orders in the city of Yorba Linda and Chino Hills were lifted, over 14,000 acres were burned and 47% of containment was reported this morning. “All Evacuation Orders have been lifted for the Blue Ridge Fire,” reported California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE).

Jazmine Coto, Managing Editor

On Tuesday, October 27th the first evacuation alert was posted at 1:25am in the Butterfield Ranch area. The Blue Ridge Fire currently has 0% containment and has burned approximately 8,000 acres. 

Since the first alert was posted there have been more mandatory evacuations for communities north and south of Soquel Canyon Parkway. 

The following schools are on high alert as the Blue Ridge Fire continues to be uncontained. The following schools: Litel Elementary, Canyon Hills Junior High, Ayala High School, Wickman Elementary, Butterfield Ranch Elementary, Oak Ridge Elementary, Townsend Junior High, and Chino Hills High School should “prepare for possible closure and the homes surrounding the area may need to be evacuated,” sources say. 

Absences will be excused for students affected by the fire, and students should be prepared to do independent work in the case that a teacher has also been affected.

The Chino Valley Fire Department has been working very hard in controlling the brutal flames of the Blue Ridge Fire. As of October 30th, they were able to contain 47% of the fire which has currently burned 14,334 acres north of the 91 in the Yorba Linda and Chino Hills area.

Update:

The cause of the Blue Ridge Fire is still unknown and all evacuation orders and warnings have been lifted. No cases of any injuries or fatalities associated with the fire in the city of chino have been reported. The Chino Valley Fire Department continues to battle the flames of the Blue Ridge fire in order to protect the community and ensure that everyone remains safe.

Chino Hills State Park is currently closed to the public until further notice due to fire damage caused by the Blue Ridge Fire.

— City of Chino Hills

Approximately 8,850 acres of the park are not accessible by vehicle, foot, bicycle, horseback, or any other means. The state park lost two structures to the fire: The Rolling M Barn, and the employee housing, which sustained minor damage, according to the website. “California State Parks staff is working on recovery and restoration efforts.” Residents and visitors should continue to check the parks website and social media channels for updates to reopen.