Lugo athletes sign their letters of intent

Connor Burns (left), Sarah Velasquez (center), and Sean Boskovich (right) ready to sign their letter of intent to their future college.

Edward Lillie

Gary Garcia, Reporter

Today is National Signing Day and Lugo athletes are excited! National Signing Day is traditionally the first day a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for a collegiate sport with a school that is part of the NCAA. Today, Sarah Velasquez, Connor Burns, and Sean Boskovich all signed to further their future academic and athletic careers.

The signing took place in the multi-purpose room at Don Lugo. The three student athletes sat on the stage with their future college and logos plastered on poster paper. The room was filled with friends, family, teammates, and coaches, all quietly awaiting Athletic Director, Derek Donoho’s introduction of the athletes that would be signing.

Everyone in the room was anxious to see these student-athletes officially sign to their new homes for the next four years. Coach Donoho explained, “They sign their lives away,” filling the room with laughter and ease as they saw Donoho’s demeanor wasn’t as serious as he looks. Donoho led the tradition of the countdown to the official signing as the room chanted along…FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE! The student-athletes officially signed their letters of intent.

The room fell silent as the student-athletes picked up their pens and began to sign their name. The sounds of cameras clicking and the sight of flashes brightened as families and friends began taking pictures of a moment they will never forget.

Sarah Velasquez signed her letter of intent with the University of Crookston to pursue a future in softball. Sarah has been a four-year starter at Don Lugo for the Lady Conquistadores. When she was asked if there were any nerves going to a new school and home she stated, “I’m not so nervous about meeting new people, because I do know some people out there,” then jokingly continued, “One thing that will be difficult is having to adapt to the weather because it’s so cold.”

Sarah Velasquez signs her letter of intent to the University of Minnesota Crookston.

Connor Burns signed his letter of intent with the University of Long Beach and will be considered a walk-on catcher for the young team. Connor is a four-year starter at Lugo and is playing catcher for all four years since attending Lugo. During his previous three years of Lugo baseball, he has been selected as a part of the Mt. Baldy first team and is looking to keep that streak alive this upcoming season.

Connor also won Mt. Baldy League MVP last year in his junior year. He plays hard on the field and carries his motivation into the classroom, as he maintained a 3.3 GPA in the first semester of his senior year. When asked if he was nervous about being a freshman coming in as a catcher at a Division 1 school he responded, “I don’t think there are nerves it’s just more about having the drive as soon as I get there because there are guys ahead of me that have already been there, but I really want to maintain a good connection with the guys and the coaching staff as soon as I get there. I want to produce as much as I can to improve overall and perfect my game.”

Connor burns signs his letter of intent to Cal State Long Beach.

Sean Boskovich also signed his letter of intent to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Arizona, also for the sport of baseball. Sean transferred from Ayala High School to Don Lugo. Sean is a two-year starter and was selected for the Mt. Baldy league first team last season. At Lugo, Sean plays pitcher, third base, and first base.

Sean doesn’t only work hard for the baseball team and in the classroom. Sean maintained a 3.6 GPA which places him 9th in his soon to be graduating class. Sean has also achieved the CIF Champion for Character in 2019. When asked what he was nervous about starting a new life in college he stated, “I’m nervous about seeing what is truly out there and discovering everything Embry Riddle has to offer.”

Sean Boskovich signs his letter of intent to Embry Riddle Acronautical University of Arizona.