The rise of Fall sports

3+Fall+sports+teams+including%3A+football%2C+girls+volleyball%2C+and+boys+water+polo+will+be+the+first+to+participate+in+the+new+CIF+ruled+split+sports+season.+

Photo by: Diego Cruz (Top), Gary Garcia (Middle), Paul McNaughton (Bottom)

3 Fall sports teams including: football, girls’ volleyball, and boys water polo will be the first to participate in the new CIF ruled split sports season.

Gary Garcia, Sports Reporter

Don Lugo High School’s sports have been nothing short of successful. As the first season of sports is winding down, every sport in the fall season has made it to the CIF playoffs for over the past 4 years. This season includes girls volleyball, girls tennis, boys water polo, and football.

Volleyball wins league title against Diamond Bar High to advance them to CIF playoffs. Girls Varsity volleyball team huddling up before annual senior night game against Diamond Bar High. (Photo Courtesy of: Gary Garcia)

Don Lugo’s volleyball team has made the CIF playoffs for 5 consecutive years. This year the lady conquistadores lost in the quarter finals to Buckley high school. The team’s libero (captain), Marissa Martinez, stated, “My mindset going in as a senior is going to be much different, I’m more hungry and aggressive, it’s all or nothing this year.” 

The lady conquistadores have been at the toes of winning a CIF championship having gone to the semifinals a year ago and the quarterfinals this year. They’re also coming off of being Mt. Baldy league champions, heading into a new league next year. The question is can the lady conquistadores capture league champions again?

Don Lugo wins tournament before CIF playoffs and take home another trophy. Boy’s water polo team hoisting trophy after tournament win. (Photo Owned by: Maximus Cantos)

The Boys water polo team has also been a successful team at Don Lugo. The boys water polo team has reached the CIF playoffs for the past four years. Last year in 2018-2019 they lost in the quarter finals 9-8 to Pacifica high school. This year the team lost in the first round of playoffs to Culver City 18-14. 

Tosh Kuhn, a player for the boys water polo team, states, “The team feels hungry for a ring and are ready to show the effort and time they put in the offseason, practice, and individual work to reach the CIF playoffs once again.”

Although the outcome of their season isn’t what they expected coming off a successful league record, the momentum towards next year is already building up having the potential of these young athletes returning.

Don Lugo football team win annual Milkcan game marking their 4-peat victory over Chino. #30 Gary Garcia hoisting Milkcan trophy after win against Chino as his teammates celebrate around him. (Photo Courtesy of: Diego Cruz)

The football team have reached CIF playoffs for four consecutive years under head coach Greg Gano and the new coaching staff who has also led The team to keep the milkcan. The past two years the football team has lost in the first round, last year to Antelope Valley and this year to Burbank High School, after reaching the semifinals and the championship three and four years ago in 2016 and 2017.

Coach Timothy Garcia, who graduated from Don Lugo and was apart of the football team in 2017, was asked how it felt seeing the football team continuing to reach the playoffs and he stated,”Being able to be apart of the team that sets the bar high was great but being able to be apart of the team that continues to meet that high standards is even better.”

This talented football team has always fallen short during the playoffs, however this team looks forward to next year as they will have new additions of players along the way to contribute to this team’s success.

Legacies are being built here at Don Lugo, and with these legacies come high standards. These teams have not let anyone down and have the potential to finally bring home rings.