The Homecoming voting process explained

Valerie Torres

A jeweled fit for a Don Lugo Homecoming queen. Photographer, Valerie Torres

Valerie Torres, News Editor

Homecoming is just around the corner! However, many students still have no clue about how voting for a Homecoming court works. Voting for a Homecoming court is a multi-stage process, and can be a lot more complicated than most students realize.

To begin the process, different on-campus activities, clubs, and athletic programs nominate fellow students from each available grade level as possible candidates for Homecoming Prince, Princess, King, or Queen. This part of the voting is handled by teachers, who turn in the results from their class votes to ASB.  Soon, the nominees receive a note informing them that they’ve been picked, and letting them know when they’ll be introduced to the school.

Homecoming court voting sheet online on the Don Lugo website. Photographer, Valerie Torres

This year, after an unsuccessful hand-vote, the voting was conducted online , where students vote for the Homecoming court members in their grade. Nominees are allowed to campaign for themselves to try and grab a spot on the court. Friday, October 4 is the Homecoming Court announcement kick off, where all candidates will be introduced to Don Lugo students and the winning court members will be announced.

It’s an alumni Homecoming tradition.

— Mrs. Rigo-Witt

The students selected for the court will be honored during the Homecoming game, where an announcement will also be made about the students’ involvement on campus. The court members are also able to bring a special guest as an escort, which is typically a parent. Finally, they both get to be driven around in a golf cart like true Homecoming royalty.

ASB works hard to create such wonderful events such as these, so make sure they know how appreciated their efforts are.  This year’s dance theme as old Hollywood.  Don’t miss out!