Time to lead; FFA builds their chapters one workshop at a time

Edward Lillie

At each booth, comes a new speaker ready to present. Students have the ability to attend, gaining more knowledge or tools to help them and their chapter grow.

Anthony Romero and Edward Lillie

From April 24 to the 27, The Future Farmers of America (FFA) attend their State Convention, bringing in people from all over the country. The event, located at The Anaheim Convention Center, claims to bring leadership and teamwork skills to chapters. As a way to grow and develop, students get excited as the workshops begin.

Leadership abilities are a necessity when it comes to working together in a program such as FFA. The State Convention provides guidance to the organization’s high school audience. Fun activities and games await as each student enters the convention center.

All around the convention center are an assortment of games that young future farmers can take part in. These games promote team bonding and working together on problem solving.

Each and every workshop focuses on the theme of leadership and building confidence. Gregory Beard (Department of State Education), strives to help young FFA chapters on their journey to success. Beard states, ” They provide leadership direction to help strengthen the young people attending the conference here today.”

Each workshop is put together with the help of University students. These students work together to create an entertaining and live atmosphere throughout the sessions. With each workshops, comes a new activity to be taught and brought back to the individual chapters.

Students enter rooms filled with plenty of fun and engaging activities. With a new speaker in each workshop, none of the presentations are repeated.

Nick Patton, Vice President of Golden West High School’s Chapter, is ready to gain some valuable knowledge that he can bring back to their program. Patton states, “We will learn a variety of skills.” He later expands on these skills explaining how there are “team building skills, social media activities, and team dynamic practices”.

Patton understands the key goal of the State Convention; working together and bonding builds a stronger chapter. Vice President of Committees at Ceres High School, Colton Johnson, feels the same when it comes to the building of a chapter.

I honestly hope my chapter meets new people, expanding their horizon, and learn public speaking skills.

— Colton Johnson

FFA Students realize the true importance of these leadership building skills. It improves the quality of each chapter as they learn how to work closer together rather than quietly alone. Advisers put in hard work trying to help students become the true Future Farmers of America.