Standardized Science Test for Seniors

Seniors to take new standardized science test on April 16th.

Jennifer Morales, News Editor

Despite the fact that seniors normally do not take a science class, the Chino Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) has mandated that every senior take a standardized science test seven weeks before graduation. The science test is a compilation of different types of science such as earth science, biology, chemistry, physics, etc.

According to the California Department of Education website, the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) standardized science test is “an online assessment based on the California Next Generation Science Standards.” After holding a waiver for ten years, the waiver issued to CVUSD has now expired, and it is now time for the class of 2018 seniors to take the test.

Ms. Scott, assistant principal at Don Lugo, expressed how does not agree with this test because it is seemingly random, as it does not pertain to any of the required courses a senior must take. Don Lugo senior, Marian Ghali, stated that “This science test seems irrelevant and I don’t think this will benefit me at all.”

When asked about the standardized science test for seniors, Don Lugo science teacher, Mr. Horsley, conveyed his thoughts regarding whether or not the test was necessary. As he leaned forward and sighed impartially he said, “Tough question. Yes and no. Yes because they need to get more data. No, because many seniors aren’t enrolled in a science class so the data will be skewed in the negative direction.”