The Don Lugo Theater Department signs partnership with Disney Performing Arts

The theater department is partnering with the Disney Performing Arts program to enhance students theatrical abilities. These students will receive training by professionals who conduct productions at the Disneyland Resort.

This photo is protected under the rights of Disney.

The theater department is partnering with the Disney Performing Arts program to enhance students’ theatrical abilities. These students will receive training by professionals who conduct productions at the Disneyland Resort.

Kaitlyn Valenzuela, A&E Editor

The Disney Performing Arts program is officially coming to Don Lugo’s theater department starting in the upcoming 2018-2019 school year. This partnership will transform the theater program into a unique, hands-on training opportunity alongside the professionals and crew that reside in the performing arts department within the Disneyland Resort. Workshops will be offered to incoming eighth graders through eleventh graders enrolled in both Intro to Theater and Advanced Theater classes who will be the first group to be immersed in this program; As the school year progresses, such workshops will be offered to students who are not enrolled in either theater classes.

The five workshops that will be provided to these students are specifically tailored to meet essential performing arts etiquette that accommodates Lugo’s theater department. These workshops include Acting 101, Improv, Musical Theater, Parades, and Technical Theater. Each of the workshops is composed of interactive training and mentoring led by professionals who work behind the scenes to create productions into a magical experience for audiences.

These hybrid workshops will finally give a chance to both Intro and Advanced theater students to enhance their abilities within the performing arts and broaden their theatrical aspects. Although Lugo’s performing arts division lacks a choir, vocal teacher, musical theater, and a stagecraft course, students who are passionate about singing, dancing, or building stage sets will be able to benefit from this program because of how inclusive it is and will receive the necessary training they desire by one of the most prestigious entertainment companies in the world. As the end of the school year approaches, the students will perform a final recital using the skills and knowledge they have possessed during their journey with the Disney Performing Arts program.

A representative will be present at Future Freshmen Night on April 12 on behalf of the Disneyland Resort to answer any questions and provide more information about this new program. The hands-on training will be available to theater students five times a year and they will have access backstage for a surreal, effective experience. With the knowledge they gain, this program will be an impressive experience to put on their resume and will only open more doors for them to further their journey in the industry.

It is an exciting moment for the theater department, for they have never had an exclusive program in which students are able to get hands-on training by professionals in the industry. Don Lugo will be the first high school in the Chino Valley Unified School district to have a program like this and the first to partner with Disney. This program will be set to launch for the 2018-2019 school year and will be recruiting students starting April 12, 2018, during Future Freshmen Night.