CVUSD Faces Threats of School Shootings

School shooting statistics of 2018

Jennifer Morales, News Editor

School shooting threats have been received throughout schools in the Chino Valley Unified School District. Ruben S. Ayala High School, Lyle S. Briggs Fundamental, and even Don Antonio Lugo High School have been threatened.

Ruben S. Ayala High School heard news of a man who was allegedly making threats to “shoot up the campus.” The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department has since identified the suspect as Nicholas Cabellos, nineteen-year-old alumni. A police release revealed that no specific threats were made, but on an early Tuesday morning, Cabellos was taken into custody in Rancho Cucamonga shortly before he posted bail.

Lyle S. Briggs Fundamental, kindergarten through eighth-grade school, received threats of a school shooting. Extra police officers were on standby at Briggs last Thursday, the day after the allegations were made. According to a Chino Valley Unified Spokesperson, “After a detailed and thorough investigation, law enforcement has found no credible threat and there are no further concerns related to this incident.”

Don Antonio Lugo High School received threats of a school shooting that were not widely publicized, but were given the same amount of attentiveness. The school, alongside with the police, has since handled the situation and has acquired more security guards to ensure the safety of the students and faculty.

Dr. Cabrera stated, “Students’ safety is my top priority. All gates on campus are now kept closed and are being protected by newly hired security guards. Even an over-the-gate transaction is being discouraged because having something dangerous being given to a student wouldn’t be unheard of.”

Wayne M. Joseph, superintendent of the CVUSD, reached out to the community and asked parents and community members to join a forum on safety, “I have always been impressed by this community’s willingness to work together to make it an even better place to live,” expressed Joseph.

One day after the Parkland shooting in Florida, the topic of district-wide safety and security upgrades were discussed at a CVUSD school board meeting on Thursday, February 15th. The safety of students and teachers are being greatly considered throughout communities nationwide.